- U.S. Defense Secretary does not know how long no-fly zone might be in place in Libya
- NATO to decide on taking over command of military operations in Libya within hours
- Allied air strikes hit Gaddafi's stronghold of Sabha - Libyan state TV
- Coalition forces 'strike Gaddafi's home town' - Libyan state TV
NATO is taking over command of military operations in Libya from coalition forces, world media reported Sunday.
The UN Security Council imposed the no-fly zone over Libya on March 17, along with ordering "all necessary measures" to protect civilians from Muammar Gaddafi's attacks on rebel-held towns.
The 28 NATO ambassadors met on Sunday to decide on further military plans in Libya.
The United States transfers command for a no-fly zone over Libya to NATO, while coalition forces will continue to protect civilian population from attacks by Gaddafi forces.
The military operation in Libya, codenamed Odyssey Dawn, has been conducted so far jointly by 13 states, including the United States, Britain and France.
NATO members decided on Thursday to assume responsibility for the enforcement of a no-fly zone in Libya, but could not agree on taking full command of all military operations in the country.
Meanwhile, leaders of the 27 European Union states on Thursday issued a statement saying the EU stood ready to assist in building a new Libya "in cooperation with the United Nations, the Arab League, the African Union and others."
MOSCOW, March 27 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- pcfWestern Fourth Reich on the move08:11, 28/03/2011And how much are all of these futile actions going to cost the taxpayers ? NATO countries are bankrupt.
- sagbotgamot(no title)08:17, 28/03/2011whatever, the UN still means USA, France, UK in Libya. they supported the so-called rebels to destroy Gaddafi. the Rebels are just front of those nations to grab the oil fields of Libya.
Erdogan will continue to help consolidate Islam’s influence in public life and use Islam as a political issue. It is hard to say what Turkey will do in the Muslim world, but Erdogan obviously does not need any more turmoil in neighboring countries.