Topic: Powerful Earthquake in Japan
Second blast at Japan nuclear reactor kills 11 (Update 1)© AFP 2014/ JIJI PRESS
Second blast at Japan nuclear reactor kills 11 (Update 1)© REUTERS/ NTV via Reuters TV
- Rescue operation in Japan halted after false tsunami alert
- Radiation levels slightly rise around Japan's Fukushima reactor No.3 - govt.
- Japan's Fukushima quake-hit nuke plant under control - UN nuclear watchdog (Wrapup 2)
- New blast may hit Japan's troubled nuclear power plant after earthquake - government
- Fears of nuclear disaster mount in Japan (Wrapup 1)
- International aid teams rush to tsunami-torn Japan
- Japanese disaster: day two
- Blast at Japan's Fukushima No.1 nuclear plant
- Japan 24 hours after the disaster: empty shelves, destruction and suspense
- First photos showing the aftermath of the powerful Japanese quake
- Quake impact on Japanese NPPs
- Recent series of quakes in Japan
- Tsunami Hits Japan after Massive Quake
- Japan struck by magnitude-8.8 earthquake
At least eleven people were injured in a second explosion at the Fukushima nuclear plant in north-eastern Japan on Monday, NHK TV said.
The build-up of hydrogen caused reactor no. 3 to explode at around 02:00 GMT but the government's top spokesman, Yukio Edano, said its core was still intact. He said there was a "low possibility" of a rise in radiation levels near the damaged plant.
A blast occurred in the plant's reactor no. 1 on Saturday.
The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., told the TV station that the cooling system at reactor no. 2 has failed.
Seawater is still being pumped into the reactors in an attempt to cool them, officials say.
The plant's cooling system was knocked out by a powerful earthquake and tsunami on Friday that is believed to have left at least 10,000 people dead in north-east Japan.
Officials in Russia's Far East say the new blast has not caused a significant rise in radiation levels in the region.
MOSCOW, March 14 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Albino Kangaroos, Grubby Baby Penguins and Other Animal News
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.