- Libyan rebels council asks Arab League recognition
- Russia opposes foreign military intervention in Libya
- EU and NATO weigh options in Libya
- Sarkozy says France, U.K. ready to hit Libya
- Gulf Cooperation Council calls Gaddafi regime illegitimate (Update 1)
Arab League foreign ministers voted on Saturday to ask the UN Security Council to impose a no-fly zone over Libya.
The vote, at a special meeting in Cairo, was backed by all member states. It was previously reported that it was opposed by Syria and Algeria.
The Arab League also voted to open channels of communication with a Libyan rebel council based in Benghazi and extend formal recognition to the rebel movement.
Gaddafi said on Wednesday the no-fly proposal was a "colonialist plot" by the West to steal Libyan oil.
Calls for the zone closure have stepped up in recent days after Libyan armed forces launched further air strikes on the rebel frontline in the east of the country.
Russia, a permanent member of the UN Security Council, has expressed reservations on the issue.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday the organization was considering a range of options, including humanitarian aid and military intervention, but any action should have a clear legal basis.
According to some media reports NATO's military staff have started drawing up contingency plans for sending air and naval forces into combat if called upon.
Thousands of people have been killed since the first protesters began demanding the end of Gaddafi's 42-year rule in mid-February.
CAIRO, March 12 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- suhailShame on you, Arab League!09:44, 13/03/2011The Arab League leaders are just a set bloody haraamis and the ill begotten sons of the western nations.Shame on the Arab League!You can rest with your silly votes!Inshallah,Gaddafi will continue to rule only because he is a better choice than others,and also under Gaddafi Libya will not be Balkanised.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.