Topic: Unrest in Arab countries
Eyewitnesses reported seeing "15 tank carriers carrying two tanks each heading towards Bahrain"© REUTERS/ Caren Firouz
- Bahraini protestors demand more rights, king slow on concessions
- Bahrain lawmaker accuses U.S. of being behind Arab revolutions
- Bahrain to go on nationwide strike if government refuses to resign
- King of Bahrain pardons political prisoners, rejects other demands by protestors
- EU foreign policy chief 'concerned' by violence in Bahrain
Saudi Arabia has sent dozens of tanks to Bahrain, where anti-government protests continue for about two weeks, Egypt's Al-Masry Al-Youm newspaper said on Tuesday.
Eyewitnesses reported seeing "15 tank carriers carrying two tanks each heading towards Bahrain" along the 25-km King Fahd causeway, which links the small island nation of Bahrain to Saudi Arabia.
Protestors are mainly Shiites account for about 70% of the Bahraini population, but have long complained of discrimination and other abuses by the Sunni Khalifa dynasty that has ruled the tiny Gulf nation for more than two centuries.
In the worst unrest in the kingdom since the 1990s, a wave of protests swept across Bahrain in the past weeks. At least six people were killed and hundreds injured in clashes with police.
Opposition threatens to hold more protests and a nationwide strike if the government refuses to resign.
MOSCOW, March 1 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- suhailFools from Najaf should be ousted!09:06, 01/03/2011Kick the Saudi monarchy out!These revolutions are happening for people's good.And Saudi Arabian monarchy has just given a good reason for the people to revolt, and for Bahrain to become its enemy by sending tanks to it.Saudi Arabia has just committed a very grave mistake.Perhaps,that is what these fools from Najaf are good at doing!
- truthbetoldThis report is BS23:01, 03/03/2011I have a friend in Bahrain... she checked on this personally... no tanks, no BS! I believe we are being deceived...
- avatar_singhso when is the west going to remove saudi and bahrain dictators who send tanks agasint civilains?05:25, 05/03/2011never. democracy if for the enmies of west not for the west or for the friends of west.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: Sledge Hockey
The unconstitutional takeover in Ukraine was the toughest, consistent and so far most effective Western counterattack launched amid the ongoing struggle for a fairer world order. Only the naïve believe that the United States and Europe will willingly share their right to rule the world, though their belief is worthy of respect.