- Turkey undecided over NATO missile defense shield on its soil - Turkish PM
- NATO missiles in Turkey would defend Israel's 'crimes' - Iran
- NATO missile defense shield in Turkey may threaten Iran, Russia - experts
- Munich conference to discuss Russia-NATO missile defense network
- Russia insists on equal part in European missile defense
Georgia is interested in the proposal by a group of U.S. senators that Tbilisi host a missile defense radar, Deputy Foreign Minister David Dzhalagania said on Monday.
Four U.S. Republican senators - Jon Kyl, James Risch, Mark Kirk and James Inhofe - have sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Robert Gates asking him to consider Georgia as a potential host for the TPY-2 missile defense radar.
"This is a new initiative so I can't say the Georgian side has formulated a concrete position on the matter," Dzhalagania said.
"This initiative is interesting in and of itself and it deserves attention from the point of view of regional security and stability."
The United States previously invited Turkey to host a radar site but Ankara set a number of conditions, including that an anti-missile shield should be deployed in all the alliance's member states, not just Turkey.
The senators have suggested that alternate sites be considered and that Georgia's geographic location would make it an ideal place for a radar targeting Iran.
TBILISI, February 7 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- AbramsSucks(no title)16:07, 07/02/2011This might an answer from US because Russia is against Iran sanctions.
- suhailThis is a very dangerous move by Georgia.19:12, 08/02/2011This is so far the most dangerous move made by any country against Russia.So,Russia may do something effective in preventing Georgia from acquiring the US missile defence radar.Atleast now,Russia must understand the real motive of NATO and patch up with Iran.
- PutinYour correct.IF RF goes against Iran, sancitons always US misisles threat.One answer!22:15, 08/02/2011Nukes in Kaliningrad, secret camouflaged areas..US high priority,"protect Poland" they want to be partner of US and demand US use their strategic location to RF,neutralize RF Nuke deterrent! Medvedev took Kaliningrad deployment off the table and 'almost' apoligized to Obama for even saying they would be deplyed.--Putin 2012.didn't back down from Geo.W.Bush, Israel and Georgia warmongers. RF is vaunerable to US backmail, outright threat, et. without proven leadership - Putin. The man loves his country and defends RF citizens.
- PutinFour U.S. Republican senators - Jon Kyl, James Risch, Mark Kirk and James Inhofe - have sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Robert Gates asking him to consider Georgia TPY2US missile defense radar[for now!]21:51, 08/02/2011Two places were called one message other aid,W.H. and Sen.Kirk office respectively.. Comment: "if you are looking for a [fight] rematch you will get it ! AND you will will get your A$$ KICKED again, bet me! Maybe world will get a "replay" of Georgian president trying to eat his expensive Italian red tie through glazed over eyes!
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Some people are trying to make the reality in Russia at least a bit more humane. The amnesty should apply not only to persons involved in high-profile cases, but also to individuals who are not as well-known. It is better to set free at least some of the individuals who deserve to be released than no one at all.