MINSK, April 18 (RIA Novosti) - Opposition groups in Belarus are proposing an international public trial of the regime of President Alexander Lukashenko, an opposition leader said Tuesday.
Anatoly Lebedko said the first session of such court could be possibly held in September this year in Warsaw, Vilnius, Kiev, Moscow, or Minsk.
"We need to dispel illusions and myths about Belarusian authorities," Lebedko said. "We need to show the [real] nature of the Belarusian regime."
Lukashenko, whom Washington has dubbed 'Europe's last dictator', was reelected to a third term as president in the March 19 poll with a massive 83% of the vote. The opposition said the vote was rigged.
Lebedko said the trial judges should be 10-15 people well known in Europe and the world. He said the prosecution would present hundreds of cases involving violation of Belarusian laws and the constitution.
Lebedko said the main issues in the trial would be the events of 1996, when Lukashenko dismissed a parliament that intended to impeach him, and the 2006 presidential election. He added the issue of the court should be also raised at the Council of Europe.
Belarus is the only European nation not to be a member of the Council of Europe.
Earlier this month, foreign ministers of the 25 European Union member states included Lukashenko along with 30 other Belarusian officials on a blacklist that bans them from entering the union.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.