Russian President Vladimir Putin said in phone conversations with the German and British leaders on Sunday that Crimea’s decision to secede from Ukraine and join Russia was within the framework of the international law.
23:59Main News of March 9
Crimea will hold a referendum on March 16 on seceding from Ukraine to Russia. Do you think Crimea is doing the right thing?
- Warning Shots Fired As OSCE Mission Denied Entry to Crimea12
- Sochi Paralympics Medal Count
- Russia Mulls Banning US Nuclear Arms Inspections – Source5
- Russia Starts Massive Air Defense Drills Amid Crimea Standoff4
- Putin Pushes Formula 1 as Sochi Olympic Legacy Project
- Ice Skating Costumes: More Than Nip Slips and Nude Illusion
One item was very different from the others at a recent exhibit on Soviet participation in the Winter Olympic Games. Amid Central Committee documents and photos of gold medal-winning athletes was a letter written in a child's scrawl.
This article is an opinion piece. See note at bottom of text.
What do you get when you cross 3,000 of the world’s fittest athletes in a strange city with free alcohol and smartphones? Evidently, a lot of people revved up on hormones looking for ways to link up with fun-loving new friends.
As throngs of Olympic tourists dragging heavy suitcases rushed to airports and train stations on Monday, Sochi reassumed its role of a small resort city glistening by the sea - a bit bedraggled, but bursting with pride over its handling of the Winter Games.