- 06:19 29/04/2013
- 17:37 11/04/2013
- 04:17 11/03/2013
- 03:28 17/01/2013
- 16:02 08/01/2013
Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras exuded confidence during a visit to Berlin on Tuesday, claiming his country will do everything possible to restore financial order and investor confidence in the economy.
- 16:38 13/12/2012
- 17:24 06/12/2012
Standard & Poor’s has cut Greece’s 'CCC' long-term and 'C' short-term sovereign credit ratings to 'SD' (selective default) following the Greek government’s offer to buy back its debt at a steep discount, the international rating agency announced on Thursday.
- 18:42 03/12/2012
- 18:25 30/11/2012
- 13:15 27/11/2012
Greece will use fresh loans for debt buyback at discounted prices, Greek Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras said on Tuesday after eurozone finance ministers and the IMF reached a deal on a much-needed bailout for the country.
- 12:40 27/11/2012
- 06:51 27/11/2012
- 18:37 25/11/2012
The European Central Bank (ECB) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have proposed a radical new sovereign debt restructuring plan for Greece, the second such plan in a year, German daily Der Spiegel's online paper said on Sunday.
- 18:36 22/11/2012
- 15:30 21/11/2012
The euro tumbled against the ruble in Wednesday trade on the Moscow Stock Exchange, past the 40 ruble mark after European officials failed to strike a deal on another portion of bailout funds for debt-saddled Greece, market data suggested.
- 14:49 21/11/2012
Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras called on the troika of international lenders on Wednesday to fulfil their commitments and unlock a much-needed 31.5 billion euro loan for the country, claiming Greece has met its creditors’ austerity demands.
- 11:27 21/11/2012
Eurozone finance ministers withheld approval on Tuesday night for a vital 31.5 billion euro loan for Greece, which is teetering on the brink of a sovereign default, after 12 hours of talks in Brussels.
- 05:18 14/11/2012
Greek Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras, who has recently returned to Athens from Brussels, warned that the risk of the country defaulting on its huge debt was still very real, the Kathimerini daily said on Wednesday.
- 15:07 13/11/2012
- 04:34 13/11/2012
Eurozone finance ministers have delayed a decision on whether to release the latest 31.5-bln euro tranche of bailout funds to Greece despite the Greek government’s efforts to meet the demands of the international lenders.
- 00:53 12/11/2012
- 03:05 08/11/2012
- 15:36 06/11/2012
- 05:08 06/11/2012
- 22:13 04/11/2012 ATHENS, November 4 (RIA Novosti)
Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras on Sunday called on members of the country’s parliament to support the 2013 budget and austerity package, needed to secure another bailout tranche, and “save the country from disaster.”
- 03:07 02/11/2012
- 16:42 24/10/2012 ATHENS, October 24 (RIA Novosti)
- 19:26 23/10/2012 MOSCOW, October 23 (RIA Novosti)
- 06:28 17/10/2012 ATHENS, October 17 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:08 15/10/2012 ATHENS, October 15 (RIA Novosti)
Greece and the troika of international lenders (EU, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund) are likely to miss their scheduled date - an EU summit on October 18 - to agree measures to sort out the Greek economy in exchange for new credit, Greek Finance Minister Yiannis Stournaras said on Monday.
- 12:36 27/09/2012 MOSCOW, September 27 (RIA Novosti)
- 13:34 17/09/2012 BERLIN, September 17 (RIA Novosti)
Greece will be unable to pay back its debts to international creditors by 2020 according to the so-called troika of international lenders, German daily Handelsblatt reported on Monday, quoting unnamed sources.
- 20:51 27/08/2012 ATHENS, August 27 (RIA Novosti)
- 20:04 26/08/2012 ATHENS, August 26 (RIA Novosti)
The payback period for Greece should be extended for two or three years if the country sticks to the savings targets and reform plans, Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann said in an interview published on Sunday.
- 17:30 24/08/2012 BERLIN, August 24 (RIA Novosti)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel appeared to offer Greece no new concessions over debt repayment in talks with Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras in Berlin on Friday, but maintained her line that she wanted Athens to stay in the Eurozone.
- 16:51 23/08/2012 BERLIN, August 23 (RIA Novosti)
Greece’s request to extend a deadline for the Greek austerity program to cut the budget deficit is unlikely to solve the country’s economic woes, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble said on Thursday.
- 16:24 22/08/2012 BERLIN, August 22 (RIA Novosti)
Greece needs more time to introduce austerity measures to reduce its massive state debt and keep the Hellenic economy afloat, but is not seeking extra loans from its European partners, Prime Minister Antonis Samaras said on Wednesday.
- 23:20 19/08/2012 ATHENS, August 19 (RIA Novosti)
The Greek government said on Sunday that it would strictly punish citizens for tax evasion after the residents of a small island of Hydra tried to resist the police after they detained a restaurant owner who did not provide receipts to clients.
- 14:38 14/08/2012 ATHENS, August 14 (RIA Novosti)
Greece auctioned 4.063 billion euro ($4.92) in short-term debt to repay its 3.2 billion euro debt due on August 20 and stave off a sovereign default, the Public Debt Management Agency reported on Tuesday.
- 15:11 18/06/2012 ATHENS, June 18 (RIA Novosti)
- 11:37 17/06/2012 ATHENS, June 17 (RIA Novosti)
- 11:25 13/06/2012 ATHENS, June 13 (RIA Novosti)
Eurozone countries are ready to discuss possible relaxation of terms for debt-laden Greece to implement its fiscal policies in exchange for multi-billion-euro loans from the EU and the IMF, Financial Times Deutschland reported on Wednesday.
- 17:14 05/06/2012 ST. PETERSBURG, June 5 (RIA Novosti)
Greece’s possible exit from the eurozone over its inability to service its huge debt is unlikely to be critical for Russia’s banking system, Russian Central Bank First Deputy Chairman Alexei Simanovsky said on Tuesday.
- 11:02 05/06/2012 MOSCOW, June 5 (RIA Novosti)
- 11:00 02/06/2012 ATHENS, June 2 (RIA Novosti)
Moody's lowered its assessment of the highest rating that can be assigned to a domestic debt issuer in Greece by four points to Caa2 "on the increasing risk of an exit by the country from the euro area," the rating agency said on Saturday.
- 20:52 30/05/2012 ATHENS, May 30 (RIA Novosti)
The Greek Coalition of the Radical Left, known as Syriza, which opposes a credit deal with the EU and IMF, is once again in the lead in the election race, according to an opinion poll conducted by the VPRC company for the Epikera magazine.
- 12:18 28/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 28 (RIA Novosti)
The single European currency was strengthening against the U.S. dollar in foreign exchange markets on Monday as investors were cheered by positive news from Greece that its pro-bailout New Democracy party was leading in the latest opinion polls.
- 10:26 28/05/2012 ATHENS, May 28 (RIA Novosti)
- 14:31 24/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 24 (RIA Novosti)
A Greek exit from the eurozone may cause Russia’s GDP to slump by 2 percent per annum, capital flight to rise to $100 billion and the ruble to be devalued, an expert from Sberbank’s Center of Macroeconomic Studies said late on Wednesday.
- 06:41 24/05/2012 BRUSSELS, May 24 (RIA Novosti)
- 21:06 19/05/2012 WASHINGTON, May 19 (RIA Novosti)
- 00:49 19/05/2012 ATHENS, May 19 (RIA Novosti)
- 22:44 18/05/2012 BERLIN, May 18 (RIA Novosti)
- 22:17 18/05/2012 ATHENS, May 18 (RIA Novosti)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday suggested in a telephone conversation with Greek President Karolos Papoulias to hold a referendum on the country's membership in the Eurozone during parliamentary elections on June 17, Greek government spokesman Dimitris Tsiodras said.
- 21:40 18/05/2012 ATHENS, May 18 (RIA Novosti)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday suggested in a telephone conversation to Greek President Karolos Papoulias to hold a referendum on the country's membership in the Eurozone during parliamentary elections on June 17, Greek government spokesman Dimitris Tsiodras, said.
- 11:48 18/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 18 (RIA Novosti)
- 15:16 17/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 17 (RIA Novosti)
- 11:57 16/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 16 (RIA Novosti)
- 14:01 15/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 15 (RIA Novosti)
- 13:16 14/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 14 (RIA Novosti)
The euro and European shares traded lower on Monday as Greece’s failure to form a coalition government increased uncertainty about the country's bailout and threatened to intensify the eurozone crisis.
- 04:58 10/04/2012 ATHENS, April 10 (RIA Novosti)
Greek seamen begin a 48-hour strike on Tuesday leaving all ships and ferries anchored at ports and disrupting plans of thousands of people ahead of Orthodox Easter holidays this week, Greek media reported.
- 21:17 15/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 15 (RIA Novosti)
- 18:42 12/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 12 (RIA Novosti)
- 03:33 10/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 10 (RIA Novosti)
- 02:16 10/03/2012 WASHINGTON, March 10 (RIA Novosti)
- 19:40 09/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 9 (RIA Novosti)
- 12:05 09/03/2012 ATHENS, March 9 (RIA Novosti)
Greece’s private investors agreed on Friday to swap their government bonds for new securities that are worth 83.5 percent of the country’s sovereign debt in a deal that help the country stay afloat and avoid default on its massive debt, Greek Finance Ministry said.
- 17:05 07/03/2012 ATHENS, March 7 (RIA Novosti)
- 08:03 03/03/2012 MOSCOW, March 3 (RIA Novosti)
- 07:50 28/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 28 (RIA Novosti)
International ratings agency Standard & Poor’s downgraded on Tuesday Greece’s long-term sovereign credit rating from ‘CC’ to ‘selective default’ after the country launched a bond swap plan last week to ease its debt burden.
- 16:25 22/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 22 (RIA Novosti)
International rating agency Fitch has downgraded Greece's long-term foreign and local currency Issuer Default Ratings to C from CCC and affirmed the short-term foreign currency rating at C, the agency said on Wednesday.
- 10:38 22/02/2012 RIA Novosti economic commentator Vlad Grinkevich
On February 21 eurozone finance ministers agreed to a second bailout for Greece – it has received a 53.5% reduction of its debt to private banks and will get up to 130 billion euros from the International Monetary Fund.
- 18:32 21/02/2012 ATHENS, February 21 (RIA Novosti)
The EU austerity plan for Greece will not rescue the country from default, Paul Krugman, Princeton University professor and winner of the 2008 Nobel Prize in economics, said in his blog in The New York Times on Tuesday.
- 13:47 21/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 21 (RIA Novosti)
Russian stocks ignored a second 130-billion euro deal sealed by eurozone countries and the International Monetary Fund for debt-laden Greece, demonstrating a downside movement in MICEX-RTS trade on Tuesday.
- 10:16 21/02/2012 BRUSSELS, February 21 (RIA Novosti)
Eurozone countries and the International Monetary Fund will provide a second 130-billion euro bailout aid package to Greece to help it repay its massive debt and avoid a default, Eurogroup President Jean Claude Juncker said on Tuesday.
- 12:02 20/02/2012
- 13:40 15/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 15 (RIA Novosti)
Key Asia-Pacific stock market indices closed higher on Wednesday amid investor optimism that the Greek bailout deal was close at hand and on China’s pledge to invest in Europe’s bailout funds and boost its euro asset holdings, market data suggested.
- 23:38 13/02/2012
- 17:06 13/02/2012 ATHENS, February 13 (RIA Novosti)
- 16:18 13/02/2012 BRUSSELS, February 13 (RIA Novosti)
- 12:17 13/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 13 (RIA Novosti)
Russian stocks and the ruble moved higher on Monday as the Greek parliament approved new austerity measures needed to secure a 130-billion euro ($170-bln) bailout to avoid default and investor risk appetite returned to the markets.
- 03:49 13/02/2012 ATHENS, February 13 (RIA Novosti)
Greece’s parliament has approved austerity measures requested by the Eurozone and the International Monetary Fund to secure a 130-billion euro ($170bln) bailout to avoid default, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported on Monday.
- 23:26 12/02/2012 ATHENS, February 12 (RIA Novosti)
Black-hooded protesters hurling stones and petrol bombs on Sunday battled Greece's parliament as lawmakers inside debated deeply unpopular austerity measures to secure a bail-out program aimed to stave off bankruptcy.
- 02:54 12/02/2012 ATHENS, February 12 (RIA Novosti)
- 06:58 11/02/2012 ATHENS, February 11 (RIA Novosti)
The Greek cabinet has approved a pack of new austerity measures requested by the Eurozone and the International Monetary Fund to secure a 130-billion euro ($170bln) bailout to avoid default, the Greek national television reported on Saturday.
- 04:27 10/02/2012 BRUSSELS, February 10 (RIA Novosti)
Eurozone finance ministers on Thursday night agreed to attach additional conditions to Greece’s 130-billion-euro bailout deal and postponed the final decision until next Wednesday, the meeting’s chairman said on Friday.
- 22:20 09/02/2012 ATHENS, February 9 (RIA Novosti)
Greek Deputy Labor and Social Security Minister Yiannis Koutsoukos resigned on Thursday as a sign of a protest against the government’s decision to cut wages and pensions in exchange for European financial assistance.
- 18:39 09/02/2012 MOSCOW/ATHENS, February 9 (RIA Novosti)
Greek political leaders have finally struck a deal on new austerity measures demanded by creditors to secure a 130-billion euro bailout to avoid default and keep the country afloat, local media reported on Thursday.
- 11:31 09/02/2012 MOSCOW, February 9 (RIA Novosti)
Greece hopes the EU will grant a second bailout worth 130 billion euros despite the government's failure to secure agreement on pension cuts at a marathon meeting that ended early on Thursday morning.
- 07:14 06/02/2012 ATHENS, February 6 (RIA Novosti)
As Greek political forces and international lenders negotiate ways to avert a default, which can take place already in March, the country's two largest trade unions announced a strike against proposed austerity measures.
- 04:06 06/02/2012 ATHENS, February 6 (RIA Novosti)
- 14:41 01/02/2012 ATHENS, February 1 (RIA Novosti)
Greece needs to ease up on the effort to reduce the budget deficit but hasten the implementation of reforms, head of the International Monetary Fund's supervisory mission in Greece Poul Thomsen said on Wednesday.
- 11:19 31/01/2012 ATHENS, January 31 (RIA Novosti)
Greece is not discussing the tightening of budgetary oversight by the EU, despite the fact that it may need more financial aid than was been planned, Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos said on Tuesday.
- 20:48 29/01/2012 MOSCOW, January 29 (RIA Novosti)
- 17:35 28/01/2012 ATHENS, January 28 (RIA Novosti)
- 06:12 28/01/2012 ATHENS, January 28 (RIA Novosti)
- 19:17 19/01/2012
The first rumors that Greece may leave the Eurozone arose in 2010, when the country asked the EU and IMF for a bailout in a bid to avoid default. Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos on Monday said abandoning the euro and returning to the drachma was "really not an option," for the country. In an interview with CNBC, Papademos also said he was confident the country would avoid a default in March.
- 15:35 18/01/2012 ATHENS, January 18 (RIA Novosti)
Greece will consider legislation forcing private creditors to take losses on their holdings, if it fails to reach agreement in critical negotiations scheduled to resume on Wednesday, Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos said.
- 17:29 17/01/2012 MOSCOW, January 17 (RIA Novosti)
Financial crisis in Greece
Greece has been buried in debt for a number of years. It used foreign loans to cover its budget deficit. Pensions are the biggest budget spending item.