- A 'dash of lion and a pinch of tiger' - recipe to resurrect ancient subspecies
- Lioness, 8 tigers die in Russia due to circus staff negligence
- Ukrainian tycoon paid lion's share of Faina ransom - Kiev
- Police search for runaway lion in Russia's Volga area
A driver in northern Kazakhstan got quite a shock on Monday morning when he noticed a live lion locked in the car parked next to him in a parking lot, local authorities in the Kazakh town of Kostanai said on Wednesday.
The lion, which had reportedly spent the entire night in the car park, had been abandoned by a local businessman, who bought the big cat for his private zoo, local media said.
"The lion was left in the parking lot because its owner returned late from his trip. The cage containing the predator was locked, and the lion was calm," a local interior ministry spokesman was quoted by media reports as saying.
The businessman bought the lion at a zoo in the central Kazakh city of Karaganda, he said, adding that the lion has since been moved to his new home at the businessman's zoo.
ASTANA, August 25 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- BigCatRescue(no title)17:56, 25/08/2010This is a case of animal abuse. It is appalling that the lion was returned to this man. The lion was trapped all night in a van with no food or water, unable to move around, and probably lying in his own urine and feces. How is it possible that this man will face no charges nor incur a fine? Nobody should be allowed to own large, dangerous, exotic cats as pets or for their "private zoo." Help us ban big cats as pets: www.bigcatrescue.org
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.