MOSCOW, October 11 (RIA Novosti) - Four-belt world heavyweight boxing champion Wladimir Klitschko replied to Russia’s Alexander Povetkin rematch proposal on Thursday, saying that it was possible, but only in Ukraine.
Povetkin, who lost to Klitschko by a unanimous points decision in Moscow last weekend, challenged his opponent to a rematch Wednesday saying he lost a battle but was determined to "win the war."
“A rematch depends not only on Povetkin’s desire, as many say now, but on mine too. If Alexander and his promoters want it that much, then, possibly, I will give him a chance. But it will take place in Kiev,” Klitschko, who knocked down Povetkin four times in a one-sided bout on Saturday, said in a TV show aired by Ukraine’s Inter TV.
Klitschko, who holds WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts, refused to rule out a rematch right after the Saturday bout, but said it could not happen soon because of the other fights he was obliged to take to satisfy various sanctioning bodies.
Klitschko improved to a 61-3 career record with the win, while the previously unbeaten Povektin dropped to 26-1. Klitschko won the bout 119-104 on all three scorecards, and would have scored a perfect 120 had he not been deducted a point for holding.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.