- Multi-Faith Centers to Open for Sochi 2014 Games
- Putin Calls For Visa-Free Travel for Athletes
- Russians Launch Sochi Olympics Awareness Drive in US
- Sochi 2014 Ticket Sales Shocked Head Organizer
- Extreme Park Tests Please Sochi 2014 Organizers
- Sochi Extreme Park Faces Final Test - FIS
- Russia Marks Year to Go Until Sochi Olympics
- Presentation of Sochi 2014 Clothing Collection
- Sochi 2014 launches recruitment campaign for Olympic volunteers
- RIA Novosti Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Projects and Products
- Sochi Olympics Ticket Prices
- New Disciplines in the Sochi Olympic Program
- Rosa Khutor Ski Resort’s Hotels and Hotel Projects
- Medvedev and Putin skiing at Rosa Khutor in Sochi
MOSCOW, March 21 (R-Sport) – The Alpine skiing resort for the 2014 Winter Olympics is to refrigerate some 450,000 cubic meters of snow over the summer to guarantee the slopes are covered for the Games, Russian officials said Thursday.
The announcement is an attempt to allay fears that insufficient snowfall and balmy temperatures at the Rosa Khutor venue in the mountains above Sochi could spoil Russia's first Winter Games.
"Storing snow from the 2012-2013 season will allow us to avoid the risk of insufficient natural snow quantities or anomalous temperatures next season," a statement from Rosa Khutor said Thursday.
"The 450,000 cubic meters of 'last year's' snow is the volume that will guarantee the necessary covering on the slopes of Rosa Khutor, even in the worst weather conditions," it added.
The snow is to be stored in seven special on-site reservoirs, the largest of which has a capacity of 100,000 cubic meters, the company said, at a cost of 250 million rubles ($8 million).
The weather concerns were compounded this winter with unseasonably warm temperatures forcing the cancellation of several test events including stages of the Cup of Russia Nordic combined event and the slopestyle disciplines of the freestyle World Cup, a new event in the Olympic program.
More than two dozen medal sets are on offer across Alpine skiing and freestyle skiing and snowboard events at Rosa Khutor during the Games, which start February 7.
The Olympic skiing courses will total 20 kilometers in length, while the resort is designed to accommodate 10,000 spectators.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.