ST. PETERSBURG, September 27 (RIA Novosti)
Luciano Spalletti has reaffirmed his commitment to Zenit St. Petersburg despite reported interest in the coach from Serie A clubs including AC Milan.
The Italian is dealing with internal feuding brought about by midfielder Igor Denisov, who was dropped to the reserves after issuing a pay rise ultimatum following the signings of Brazil forward Hulk and Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel.
Interest in the 53-year-old has swelled since taking the Gazprom-backed side to consecutive Russian Premier League titles and the knockout stages of Champions League, a first for a Russian club.
"The talk last year was about my joining Milan or Juventus or Inter, but I said that I won't go to these clubs and I signed a new contract," said Spalletti, referring to the extension inked in February that keeps him at Petrovsky stadium until 2015.
"Now I say exactly the same thing. I want to assure you that this is the truth. I'm the coach of Zenit, especially at this time, a time of difficulty for the team. I will stay at this club and I will work here."
Spalletti insisted he would only depart the club under better circumstances.
"If I leave Zenit, then it will be only at a time when things are good for the club. Or, another scenario, if Zenit fire me. I love my players and I love Zenit."
The former AS Roma coach joined Zenit in 2009, taking over from Dick Advocaat.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.