MOSCOW, September 25 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia Targets Top of Sochi Medal Table
- Fraud Case Launched over Sochi 2014 Olympic Projects
- Sochi 2014 Passes Toughest Test Yet
- Factbox: Test Events for the 2014 Sochi Olympics
- Presentation of Sochi 2014 Clothing Collection
- The 1,000-day countdown to the Sochi Winter Olympics
- Style of Sochi Olympic Games
- New events added to the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games Program
- Mascots of the Winter Olympics in Sochi
- The Sochi Olympics are cool
- World’s Longest Bobsleigh and Skeleton Course Tested in Sochi
- Sochi prepares to surprise the world in 2014
The organizers of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, are celebrating 500 days until the start of the Games on Tuesday with events across the country.
The day is to culminate in displays put on by 12,000 Olympic volunteers in 17 cities, including the assembly of giant jigsaw puzzles depicting the official pictograms of the 22 Winter Olympic disciplines.
Organizers also used the opportunity to unveil the Games’ official slogan: “Hot.Cool.Yours.”
The committee said the slogan is a “universal solution” that “reflects Russia’s national character, the brand values of Sochi 2014 and also the progressive and innovative approach to organizing and hosting the Games,” in a statement.
Committee head Dmitry Chernyshenko said the slogan encourages inclusiveness and participation.
“The Sochi 2014 slogan says it’s impossible not to take part, impossible not to watch, impossible not to get excited and it’s worth being proud because these are our Games.”
"Hot" and "cool" are also references to subtropical Sochi's sun-and-snow climate.
The London 2012 Olympics featured the slogan "Inspire a Generation," while Vancouver 2010 visitors were invited to participate "With Glowing Hearts," a line from the national anthem.
The Sochi Winter Olympics will take place from February 7 through 23, 2014, and the first test events took place last year.
Last week, the Russian Post Office launched a set of Olympic postage stamps featuring a QR code linking the user to the Sochi 2014 website.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.