MOSCOW, August 21 (RIA Novosti)
Two-time major champion Svetlana Kuznetsova is to miss the upcoming U.S. Open to recover from injury, she said Tuesday.
Kuznetsova, Estonia’s world No. 15 Kaia Kanepi and Italy’s 18th-ranked Flavia Pennetta were added to the U.S. Open’s list of withdrawn players Monday, although organizers did not specify why any of the three had withdrawn.
“I’ve pulled out of the U.S. Open,” Kuznetsova said on Twitter.
“One of my very favorite events. I’m going to continue my recovery.”
Kuznetsova, the 2004 U.S. Open champion and 2009 French Open winner, has spent several weeks away from competition with a knee injury.
Pennetta blamed a long-running wrist problem for her absence in a statement on Twitter on Monday, while Kanepi missed Wimbledon last month with tendinitis.
Earlier this month, men’s No. 3 Rafael Nadal withdrew from the tournament with tendinitis after earlier missing the Olympic tournament.
Others missing the U.S. Open include France’s Gael Monfils, Spain’s Juan Carlos Ferrero and British player Elena Baltacha.
Qualifying for the U.S. Open starts Tuesday, with the main draw to be made Thursday and main draw play scheduled to start Monday.
The women’s final will be played September 8, with the men’s final a day later.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.