MOSCOW, August 1 (RIA Novosti)
New Russia coach Fabio Capello has left Reading striker Pavel Pogrebnyak out of his first squad while including several lesser-known players.
The 36-man provisional squad will be cut down to 23 before Russia’s friendly with the Ivory Coast on August 15.
There is also no space for two veterans of Russia’s charge to the Euro 2008 semifinals, Konstantin Zyryanov and Igor Semshov, while right-back Kirill Nababkin is the fourth player to be dropped from former coach Dick Advocaat’s Euro 2012 squad.
Former Everton winger Diniyar Bilyaletdinov returns after Advocaat snubbed him in June.
Arsenal’s Andrei Arshavin remains, although he has not been confirmed as captain, while Sporting Lisbon’s Marat Izmailov is the only other foreign-based player.
Capello vowed to focus on youth when unveiled as Russia coach last week, and many young players have made the squad.
Three of big-spending Anzhi’s brightest prospects are present, with 20-year-old defender Arseny Logashov, 22-year-old winger Oleg Shatov and striker Fyodor Smolov, also 22, all included.
The players have five days to impress Capello before the squad is cut to 23 on August 6, the Russian Football Union said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.