Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski said calls to boycott Euro 2012 matches in Ukraine are inadequate© REUTERS/ Kacper Pempel/Files
WARSAW, May 3 (RIA Novosti)
- Euro 2012 Organizer Brushes Off Boycott Threat
- Berlin Warns Kiev EU Deal at Risk over Tymoshenko
- Germany May Boycott Euro-2012 over Tymoshenko’s Assault
- Clinton Calls for Tymoshenko’s Release
- Ukraine ex-PM Tymoshenko’s Life in Danger - Daughter
- Pressure Group Urges 'Tymoshenko Beating' Probe
- Merkel Seeks Tymoshenko’s Treatment in Germany
Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski said calls to boycott Euro 2012 matches in Ukraine are an inappropriate response to the situation in the country.
“I believe that calls for the boycott are inappropriate to the current situation in Ukraine. There were numerous cases in various democratic countries of denunciations or accusations of presidents and prime ministers but they never led to boycotting [sports] competitions,” Komorowski said in an interview with Polish TV channel TVP1.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel reportedly threatened last week to ban her ministers from attending the summer competition after photographs appeared to back up claims that jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, an opponent of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, had been beaten in jail.
Since then, European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso has also vowed to stay away from the tournament, and Dutch media reported that members of the royal family may also snub the event unless Tymoshenko's situation improves.
It has all sparked speculation that the matches in Ukraine may be moved to another country.
In October, Tymoshenko, 52, was sentenced to seven years in prison for abuse of office in what Western governments claim was a politically motivated trial. Held at a penal colony in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, she has been on a hunger strike since April 20, and faces another trial on embezzlement charges.
Ukraine is co-hosting the tournament with Poland. It starts June 8 in Warsaw.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- SirkoWho Cares...???09:14, 03/05/2012Unlike the west where filthy lucre rules and criminals who embezzle and defraud billions such as the Wall Street Rats who were unpunished for the fraud in 2008 sending the world economies into a tail spin, in the Ukraine they are brought to answer for their crimes instead of being rewarded with bale outs and more positions of power. Of course Angela 'Shmerkel' and the rest of the western hypocrites are upset Timoshenko and Yushenko were their proxes and lackeys. Boo! Hoo! Can you not see all those terrible bruises. Boo! Hoo! She looks quite portly to me for someone who has been on an hunger strike. Why is it that we do not hear of any interference in the internal affairs of the Western Hypocrites by Russia, Byelorussia, the Ukraine, etc. while on the other hand the west never ends its campaign of interfering with the sovereignty of any nation which is not under their control.
Sieg Hiel....Angela Merkel...Send the idiot games to Poland. They are greedy and need them.