- Spain defeats Netherlands 1-0, wins World Cup (UPDATE 1)
- Uruguayan striker Forlan named Best Player at 2010 World Cup
- Germany edges Uruguay 3-2 to take 2010 World Cup bronze
- German octopus predicts Spanish victory in World Cup
- Paul the Octopus predicts Spanish victory in World Cup
- Best moments of the 2010 World Cup final game between Netherlands and Spain
- Octopus Paul goes for Spain in World Cup final
- The skies alight with fireworks as Spain wins world cup
- Cheers and tears as Spain defeats Germany in the Worlds cup Semi-final
An octopus in Germany that apparently correctly predicted the results of all of Germany's matches in the 2010 Football world cup, is retiring from his prophet career, media reports said.
"He is retiring and says thank you to the whole world. It was a great World Cup," Spokeswoman for the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen Tanja Munzig said.
The aquarium staff placed two clear boxes of mussels in Paul's tank before each game, one containing a Germany flag, the other containing the flag of the opponent. The octopus always chose to eat from the box of the winning team.
After the prophet predicted that Germany would be ousted by Spain at the semi-finals, German fans began posting tasty octopus recipes on the internet.
Spanish Prime Minister Jose Zapatero retaliated by offering to protect Paul.
"I am concerned for the octopus ... I am thinking of sending him a protective team," Spanish Prime Minister Jose Zapatero told Radio Cadena Ser.
On Monday the octopus was presented with a golden cup, similar to the official World Cup trophy, but full of mussels.
The octopus now has Facebook page and millions of fans and followers all over the world.
Bookmakers, marketing experts and brokers around the world have offered large sums of money for the animal.
MOSCOW, July 12 (RIA Novosti)
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.