MOSCOW, July 10 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian Lawmakers Set to Debate Internet Blacklist
- Russia to Create Internet Blacklist
- Wikipedia Goes Offline in Anti-Piracy Bill Protest
- Wikipedia founder believes in bright media future in terms of freedom of speech
The Russian-language segment of Wikipedia, the world’s largest free on-line encyclopedia, temporarily suspended its work on Tuesday in protest against a bill proposing a unified digital blacklist of all websites containing banned content.
The draft legislation, supported by all four party factions in the State Duma, has been widely criticized by civil rights activists and internet providers as an attempt to introduce censorship of the Russian segment of the internet (RuNet).
“Wikipedia community protests against censorship, which threatens free knowledge opened for the mankind,” Wikipedia says in a statement on its Russian-language website.
“We ask you to support us in the fight against this bill,” the statement says.
The site is expected to stay offline for 24 hours.
The lower house of the Russian parliament, the State Duma, passed the controversial bill in the first reading on July 6 and will debate the document in the second reading on Tuesday.
The idea of the blacklist originated last year from Russia’s League of Internet Security after the internet watchdog said it had broken up an international ring of 130 alleged pedophiles circulating material via the internet.
According to the draft document, submitted to the State Duma on June 7, the unified roster of banned websites will be run by a federal agency to be appointed by the government.
The agency will have the right to add items to the blacklist, as will the courts, which already have the authority to ban extremist and other types of content that violates Russian legislation.
The supporters of the blacklist believe it would curb the spread of on-line pornography and propaganda of extremism.
However, the opponents of the idea insist that the current version of the bill cannot be an effective tool for rooting out the illegal content and stopping its spread on the internet as it will not prevent “dirty” users from migrating to other domains and IP-addresses.
Wikipedia went offline for 24 hours in a similar action on January 18 in a protest against U.S. anti-piracy legislation that could lead to censorship. As a result of "blackout" protests on thousands of internet sites, the U.S. Congress has postponed the vote on two controversial bills until issues raised about them were resolved.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- pushkinlovGreat06:37, 10/07/2012Thank you very much. This is wonderful. Now Russian kids will go to the library and consult and read. Trash television and re-invented/ re-written history in Wikipedia will no longer harm the good upbringing and solid education characteristic in Soviet times. Stay away Wikipedia.
- PETEPETEPETEWikipedia = New World Order organization.23:09, 10/07/2012The censorship going on in Wikipedia is well known. And the connections between Wikipedia staff and secret services and other shady organizations is well known. They even have people who openly said that there is nothing wrong with pederasty on their team.
Furthermore the new Russian law has a lot to do with the awful filth that is all over the Internet and loser Jimmy Wales made his money by promoting unhealthy sexual filth.
Man...lately, the Russian leadership keeps hitting the bullseye and you can tell that they are hitting the bullseye by judging how the RATS cry and protest. Congratulations to the Russian leadership once again.
But i do hope that the decisions on what websites should go or not are made by the civil society, from organizations that come from the "common man" and not Government because History shows us that such centralization of power always goes wrong. I trust that this will be the case, Putin would not let it be any other way since he is a reasonable man and a true democrat.
Erdogan will continue to help consolidate Islam’s influence in public life and use Islam as a political issue. It is hard to say what Turkey will do in the Muslim world, but Erdogan obviously does not need any more turmoil in neighboring countries.