Topic: Gay Propaganda Ban in Russia
ST. PETERSBURG, March 19 (RIA Novosti)
- Canada Warns St. Petersburg Gay Travellers
- Russian Church leader condemns discrimination of homosexuals
- Church Official Urges Nationwide 'Gay Propaganda' Law
- 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Comes into Force in St Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Approves Fines for 'Gay Promotion'
- Protests over Russian 'gay propaganda' bill
Gay rights activists in St. Petersburg have sent letters to governments of U.S., EU, Australia and Canada asking them to ban entry for city officials behind the controversial gay propaganda ban.
St. Petersburg’s Governor Georgy Poltavchenko on Sunday approved a law penalizing "the propaganda of homosexuality and pedophilia among minors." The law effectively outlaws any Gay Pride events.
Activists say Poltavchenko and city lawmaker Vitaly Milonov, who initiated the bill “violated the fundamental rights of LGBT people to freedom of expression, the right on which all democratic and free societies are based.”
The law, passed in the third and final reading by the city’s Legislative Assembly in late February, imposes fines of up to $16,000 on individuals and up to $160,000 on legal entities for the promotion of homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender practices among minors. It follows similar legislation in the southern Astrakhan region and the central Ryazan and Kostroma regions.
Gay rights activist Nikolai Alexeyev also filed a one million ruble (over $30,000) defamation lawsuit against Milonov.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- email@example.comI actually support this travel ban20:18, 19/03/2012I was shocked to hear about Russian leaders condeming their own people for being gay.
Russian leaders need to GROW UP and accept ALL of their citizens as equal members of their society.
All Russian people should stand up and fight this discrimination.
First its gay people then whose next?
A VERY DANGEROUS precedent is being set and it needs to be stopped.
Russian President Vladimir Putin needs to lead his country in this regard and express his disapproval.
This is something worth standing up for and I fully approval a 100% travel ban on the Russian officials you both instigated and approved this new law that shows active discrimination against members of Russian society.