- Obama’s Sochi Olympic No-Show Means Nothing – Official
- Sochi Olympic Flame Returns to Europe From Asia
- Russian Foreign Ministry Eases Visa Regime for Olympic Visitors
- Sochi Mostly Ready for Olympics, But Some Issues Remain - Minister
- Fifty days to Sochi Olympics: RIA Novosti to remain host nation news agency of the games
MOSCOW, December 25 (R-Sport) – With less than six weeks to go until the start of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, the Russian cabinet approved almost $50 million in extra subsidies for the Games' local organizing committee on Wednesday.
No reason was given for the extra 1.6 billion ruble injection, which will be put towards the estimated $7 billion cost of hosting the Olympics themselves, rather than the vast infrastructure costs that have taken the Games’ total costs to around $50 billion.
Total government subsidies for the organizing committee now stand at 13.85 billion rubles ($420 million), although the organizing committee also draws revenue from sponsorship as well as contributions from state-owned companies.
The Olympics will run from February 7 through 23.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.