- Russian Meteorite City Feared War, Plane Crash - Poll
- Russian Scientists Suspend Search for Meteorite Debris
- Meteorite’s Powerful Blast Due to ‘Space Collisions’ -Scientist
- Chinese Internet Auction Offers 'Urals Meteorite Fragments'
- Meteorite Fragment Weighing Over 2 Lbs Found in Chelyabinsk
- Fragments of Meteorite Found in Chelyabinsk Region
- Chelyabinsk in the Wake of the Meteorite Strikes
- Meteorite Fragments Hit Russia
- Scientists Study Fragments of the Chelyabinsk Meteorite
- Scientists Show Chelyabinsk Meteorite Fragment Weighing Over One Kilo
MOSCOW, March 14 (RIA Novosti) - The meteorite that entered Earth’s atmosphere and slammed into Russia’s Urals last month had broken off from a large asteroid and collided with another space body several million years ago, a Russian scientist said on Thursday.
“It was formed within an asteroid, separated from it, and then, tens of millions of years ago, it suffered a collision, receiving multiple cracks as a result,” said Erik Galimov, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry.
“It was because of the large number of cracks that it exploded so powerfully.”
The meteorite entered the atmosphere undetected by existing space-monitoring systems and slammed into the Urals on February 15, causing a massive sonic boom that blew out windows and damaged thousands of buildings around the city of Chelyabinsk, injuring over 1,500.
NASA estimated the meteorite was roughly 50 feet (15 meters) in diameter when it entered the atmosphere, travelling many times the speed of sound, and exploded into a fireball brighter than the sun.
Some Russian scientists suggested that if the Chelyabinsk meteorite had entered the atmosphere at a steeper trajectory, the consequences would have been far worse.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Edward Snowden is not an isolated case but part of an independent community which is increasingly resolute in asserting itself and rejecting “raison d’Etat” and behind-the-scenes manipulation. The direct results of Snowden’s disclosures are most clearly evident in the context of Russian-American relations. The Snowden case has humiliated Europe, which Putin took the opportunity to remind them of.