MOSCOW, April 23 (RIA Novosti)
- Mars Astronauts Risk DNA Damage – Scientists
- People to Land on Mars in 'Next 40 Yrs' - Scientist
- Mars departure window closing, will open later
- Mars 500 experiment successfully completed: hatches opened, the crew is back on Earth
- Mars-500: Six volunteers spend 520 days in isolation
- The Mars-500 project reaches the halfway mark
- The Russian scientific project Mars-500
- Dry rations and karaoke: Relaxing in the Mars-500 project module
- “Marsonauts” take their first walk on “Mars”
- Participants of the Mars-500 experiment sent away with applause
A traditional Russian drink may help crews of interplanetary spacecraft to maintain healthy microbacterial balance in the intestines, a report by Russian scientists said.
A group of Russian scientists from the Institute for Biomedical Problems monitored the changes in microbacterial levels in the intestines of the participants of the Mars-500 experiment, and the influence of certain probiotic substances, including kvass, on it.
Kvass is a traditional Russian fermented beverage made from regular rye bread. It is classified as a non-alcoholic drink by Russian standards, as the alcohol content from fermentation is typically less than 1.2%.
Three members of the “Martian” crew drank 200 milliliters of homemade kvass and registered an increase in the amount of bifidus bacteria in their bodies.
“Drinking kvass led to the increase in the amount of bifidus bacteria and the normalization of microbacterial flora in test subjects compared to the rest of the Mars-500 participants,” said the report, which was delivered at the International Symposium on the results of the Mars-500 experiment.
The unique Moscow-based Mars-500 experiment was completed on November 4 last year.
Six volunteers were isolated from the outside world in a specially designed complex simulating a spaceship for 520 days. The experiment attempted to recreate at least some of the conditions of a flight to the Red Planet.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.