BAIKONUR (Kazakhstan), November 14 (RIA Novosti)
Russia has time until the beginning of December to establish contact with its Phobos-Grunt unmanned spacecraft that is stranded at a low-Earth orbit after launch, the Russian space agency Roscosmos said on Monday.
The Mars probe was launched from the Baikonur Space Center in Kazakhstan on Wednesday, but its engines failed to put it on course for the Red Planet. The craft, designed to bring back rock and soil samples from the Martian moon Phobos, is currently moving along a so-called support orbit.
All attempts to receive a signal from the spacecraft have so far been unsuccessful.
“We estimate that the Phobos-Grunt will fly until January, and to make it perform its mission we still have time until the beginning of December,” head of Roscosmos Vladimir Popovkin told reporters.
Popovkin said the probe is moving along a 200-km orbit and has “communication windows” with ground control stations for about 2 minutes at a time.
In order to establish communications with Phobos-Grunt, the specialists reduced the power of the signal sent to the probe, since the first contact with the spacecraft was originally planned at a much higher trajectory, and widened the “communication window.”
Popovkin dismissed concerns that the remains of the probe could hit a populated area on Earth after the spacecraft enters the planet’s atmosphere in the worst case scenario.
“There are 7.5 metric tons of fuel in the aluminum tanks on board. We have no doubts that they will explode [and destroy the probe] upon re-entry,” Popovkin said. “It is highly unlikely that its parts would reach Earth.”
The head of Roscosmos said the potential loss of the Mars probe would not affect the pace of Russia’s space exploration.
“It would be a disappointment, of course, but it does not mean that we will fold our scientific projects,” Popovkin said.
“As to Mars – it is a planet that does not like earthlings. Only 30 percent of Soviet-Russian launches to Mars were successful, the Americans have had 50 percent success, while all attempts by Japan and Europe have failed so far,” the official said.
According to NASA, though, Russia has failed all 17 attempts to study the Red Planet since 1960.
The most recent failure occurred in 1996, when Russia lost its Mars-96 orbiter during the launch.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Gargoloso(no title)16:25, 14/11/2011No European attempt to reach mars have failed. Actually its only one attempt there is ESA's Mars Express and is orbiting mars since december 2003, launched from a russian made Soyuz-Fregat rocket (like the one that failed now) and wearing two instruments form the failed mars-96 russian mission. Actually Mars Express is one of the most succesful space probes ever.
- gianpgianp22:05, 14/11/2011it is possible to rewrite the software program?
- p2o2rianI'm late but...20:44, 16/11/2011I'm late but with a good idea I think.
Russia badly needs to build own X-37B Rescue Shuttle (RS).
And needs to add to every space probe a maintenance port to which external control computer could be connected.
Once designed and manufactured it would be able to correct ANY future Russian probe. Even helping to change probes' orbits, not only helping to find out the causes of the probes' problems.
Both NASA and ESA have no such technology.
Image Galleries: Siberian Air Base Gets New Su-30SM Fighter Jets
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.