ZHUKOVSKY (Moscow region), August 17 (RIA Novosti)
- China's Mars 'expedition' participant celebrates birthday
- Mars 500 mission: one year on
- Mars flight possible after 2035 - Roscosmos chief
- Mars500 stimulated mission 'lands' on Red Planet
- Mars-500 crew to simulate landing on Red Planet
- The Mars-500 project reaches the halfway mark
- Dry rations and karaoke: Relaxing in the Mars-500 project module
- “Marsonauts” take their first walk on “Mars”
- Participants of the Mars-500 experiment sent away with applause
- Mars-500 crew surviving in extreme conditions
- The Russian scientific project Mars-500
With just months to go before the end of a Moscow-based simulated journey to Mars, the European Space Agency (ESA) head said on Wednesday a joint mission with Russia to the Red Planet was in the pipeline.
Speaking to reporters at an air show near Moscow on Wednesday, ESA head Jean-Jacques Dordain said ESA and Russia's Roskosmos space agency would "carry out the first flight to Mars together."
Dordain said it was too early to define a timeframe, but added that the Mars500 project was a factor in the preparation for a real mission to Mars. The 520-day simulated Mars500 project, run by Russia's Institute of Biomedical Problems with ESA's participation, aims to investigate just how well humans can cope with a return trip to the Red Planet. The six crew members are due "to return to Earth" in November.
Experts say a manned journey to Mars is still decades away because of the technological and financial challenges involved.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: The Linguistic Diversity of the Planet
Ukraine has not preserved its 1991 borders. The signing of the Geneva memorandum on April 17 reaffirmed the willingness of Russia, the United States and EU countries to reach a compromise. While the sides continue to trade tough talk and symbolic sanctions, the Kremlin and the White House are also holding a parallel dialogue on the coordinated geopolitical revision of Eastern Europe.