- France May Scrap Russian Warship Deal Over Ukraine Crisis
- Russia Begins Construction of Mistral Ship Base
- Russia to Receive First Mistral Warship in November 2014
- 2nd Mistral Warship to Be Complete in 2014 – Vice Premier
MOSCOW, March 20 (RIA Novosti) – France should either fulfill its contract obligations under a June 2011 contract to deliver two Mistral-class warships to the Russian navy or return the money, a Russian deputy premier said on Wednesday.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Monday that Paris will consider canceling the 1.2-billion-euro deal if Moscow provokes further escalation in Ukraine.
The remarks came after the US and EU imposed sanctions on senior Russian officials following a referendum in Ukraine's Crimea in which voters overwhelmingly supported secession and reunification with Russia.
“Either stick to your contract obligations and deliver the warships in time, or return the money and parts of these warships’ hulls, assembled at our Baltiysky Zavod [shipyard],” said Dmitry Rogozin, a deputy premier in charge of the defense industry.
A source in Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation told RIA Novosti on the condition of anonymity that France will also have to pay huge penalties if it chooses to unilaterally terminate the contract.
Under a June 2011 contract signed between Russia and France, the first French Mistral-class amphibious assault ship, named Vladivostok, will be delivered to Russia by the year-end, while the second warship, the Sevastopol, is due to arrive in 2015.
The ships are capable of carrying 16 helicopters, four landing craft, 70 armored vehicles, and 450 soldiers and are expected to be deployed with Russia’s Pacific Fleet.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- IgnarusFrench government03:56, 20/03/2014From what we can see,the present position of the French government with regards to a June 2011 contract to deliver two Mistral-class warships to the Russian navy is due to the United States of America and European Union,imposing a travel ban on senior Russian officials following a referendum in Ukraine's Crimea in which voters overwhelmingly supported secession and reunification with Russia,your friend.Kenneth Okpeki an ex-student of the London School of Management in the United Kingdom
- Veselko3Russia deserves it !11:43, 20/03/2014Do you remember the non delivery of the S-300 to Iran ?
- Mikhail1228Next winter in the EU might be cold!22:32, 20/03/2014Putin could intentionally default on 700 billion in debt owed to German banks and Gazprom could substantially raise its rates for natural gas and then demand payment from the EU in gold. Next winter might be really cold for the EU.
One of the main achievements of the 6th BRICS Summit was the signing of an official document on establishing a New Development Bank with a declared capital of $100 billion. The creation of the bank is an important step towards institutionalizing BRICS and strengthening its positions in the world in the long run.