- Over 90% of Russians Against Splitting Nation – Poll
- Putin Urges Police to Monitor North Caucasus Situation
- Russian Lawmakers Propose Stiff Penalties for Secessionists
- Uncertain World: Separatism – The Idea That Won’t Die
- Putin lashes out at supporters of North Caucasus separatism
MOSCOW, December 29 (RIA Novosti) – Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law would make spreading separatist views a criminal offence punishable by up to five years in jail.
Under the law submitted to the Russian State Duma by the Communist Party, people will face a fine of up to 300,000 rubles ($9,200) for calling for action aimed against Russia’s territorial integrity.
Lawmakers said the legislation was an effort to curb increasing public support for the idea of relinquishing mainly Muslim territories in the restive North Caucasus.
Experts, however, criticized the measure for distracting attention from more serious problems in Russian society.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- jgOnly 10% interested in separation - so why care?05:04, 30/12/2013As another article here indicates that there is very little support for the separation of any Russian regions, the idea would seem to be a non-issue and I fail to see why Putin and others are so worked up about it.
As for legislation: this is the 21st century and we have Internet - It is impossible to stop people from discussing anything. About the only exception would be North Korea, where very few people have Internet access and the country is more or less stuck in the 1950s.
- MasterAdrianmr. Putin should think twice.03:09, 17/01/2014Countries that are part of a confederation of states, even parts of states, have the right to fight for separation, and mr. Putin should be aware of such right, as Russia is signatory of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, clearly stating the every group of people have the right to form a country, meaning to separate from the federation of states they are in.
- R.Deus-von HomeyerRE:SEPARATION21:11, 23/01/2014We,ALL,LOVE separation and independence!Starting with the time,when we are teen we want to live the warm mother's nest and flyyyyyyyyyyyyyy high in the sky!
The same longing have also some people in many countries,who are may be speaking another than the official language;eating other food;dressing differently and having different customs and habits than the majority of the population.
REGRETTABLY...to be on your own,to be independent is a loooooooooooooooong BATTLE,my dear freiends from Tataristan(actually the Bulgarians are also Tatars) or Dagegistan! Do you have money to support an army,which will defend your borders? Do you have a currency,which is CONVERTIBLE and accepted on the major Stock Exchanges on this Planet?
Do you have an economy at all?
HOW are you going to pay for the goods you import?
Much better is to be under the wing of a huge and wealthy country and to enjoy your freedom in local governance!
Vladimir Putin knows as a lawyer...there are ALWAYS loopholes in the laws and LAWS will NOT prevend people to srive for independence...the MOST POWERFUL weapon is the language,Mr.Putin!