MOSCOW, December 13 (RIA Novosti) – A star in Russia’s popular answer to US medical sitcom “Scrubs” has added to a mounting mood of homophobia in the country by saying he wants to burn gay people alive as they pose a danger to his children.
“I’d put them all alive in the oven… it’s a living danger to my children,” Ivan Okhlobystin said at a chat with fans in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk.
Local news website News.ngs.ru reported Wednesday that Okhlobystin, a father of six, ranted about “gay fascism” and demanded that “faggots” be stripped of their voting rights as homosexuality is a “psychical anomaly.”
The 47-year-old actor, one of Russia’s most extravagant media personalities, served as an Orthodox Christian priest as well as acting until his priesthood was suspended in 2010.
Okhlobystin, a chief ideologue at the Kremlin-linked Right Cause party, made a short-lived bid for the presidency in 2011. In previous public remarks, he pledged to use proceedings from an upcoming book to buy arms for the besieged regime in Syria.
Okhlobystin has about 50 entries in his filmography, including 2001 movie “DownHouse,” a psychedelic retelling of Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s “Idiot.”
He is best known for “Interns,” a sitcom directly inspired by “Scrubs.” Although the show’s producers describe the show as an original creation, Okhlobystin’s perennially misanthropic doctor is a clear copy of a character in “Scrubs.”
“Interns” was rated Russia’s best television show of 2012 in a survey by state-run pollster VTsIOM last December.
Anti-gay sentiment is on the rise in Russia. Rights activists say legislation approved last year to ban the promotion of homosexuality among minors has fueled a climate of intolerance toward the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.
Prominent television presenter Dmitry Kiselyov, who was this week appointed by the Kremlin to head a news agency that is set to replace RIA Novosti, called in 2012 to “burn or bury the hearts of gays” that die in car crashes.
He did stop short of promoting actually burning gay people alive, as Okhlobystin has done, however.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- george69I like Ivan, but...14:31, 13/12/2013Although I like very much Ivan Okhlobystin as an actor and the sitcom "Interns", as a Left and democrat, I'm totally disagree with such points of view.
Although I'm heterosexual, as a left humanitarian I have to fight for human rights for all minorities.
Also I think, it was wrong, that my beloved USSR, 70 years was passing through, like the problem didn't exist.
- gauag10Annoying15:59, 13/12/2013First of all i would like to get rid of him from all sort of Media. He is most annoying person on TV.. His voice irritates me. And as an actor he sucks.
Note: I am not anti or pro gay. Not my business. i live my life they can live theirs.
- LatinLettersOnlyAt least he has the right to say it (in Russia)18:22, 13/12/2013Very soon the time is coming where expressing sentiments like this in the USA will be regarded as a criminal offence. Not the threat, just the expression of the idea. We are losing the war against the Marxist Takeover of the US. Nobody can say this kind of stuff here, anymore.
What ever happened to "Sticks and Stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"?
- arsanlupinArrant nonsense - as usual!19:59, 14/12/2013Karl Marx is about as welcome in the USA as gays are in Russia, and for the same reasons. The above statement is yet another random fantasy mouthed by mouth breathers about someone or something they don't like.
As for the concept of free speech in Russia - he gets away with it only because it's a government-approved bigotry. If Ivan Okhlobystin made the same comments about Putin & Co. or Orthodox priests, he would already be publicly crucified in Red Square.
- lukebruxHe should be educated.19:35, 13/12/2013This kind of declaration will certainly help the wrecking image of Russia abroad... He should be educated on the difference between a gay person and a paedophile.
- brashmarkoI always thought that Ivan was gay!14:22, 15/12/2013This guy is really sick! What kind of self hating coward calls for people to be burned alive? Karma has a way of working things like this out and I am willing to bet that this coward of a man is either gay himself or one or more of his kids are! Be very careful what you wish for!
- Mr.SFLAMMING MARRY06:23, 17/12/2013Your are one big closet case pretending to pop kids out doesn't make you straight. "He who yells the loudest has much to hide"
Image Galleries: Russia Celebrates Navy Day
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
The Brest-Litovsk peace treaty that ended Russia’s part in the war has been the subject of heated debate from the moment it was signed in March 1918. To this day, scholars offer differing interpretations of the circumstances that led to the treaty and its domestic and foreign policy importance.