- Russia to Deploy 4 New Arctic Warships by 2020
- Russian Navy Warplanes Start Arctic Patrols
- Russia's Lavrov rules out global war over Arctic resources
MOSCOW, November 5 (RIA Novosti) – Russia is unprepared for a war in the Arctic, a government report says.
The country, which has the longest Arctic border, would be unable to quickly respond to an attack in the area, the Regional Development Ministry said in an assessment of risks to economic interests in the Far North.
Russia’s northern border checkpoints are underequipped, and servicemen lack proper training for fighting in the harsh climate, according to the report, released Monday.
The country has embarked on an ambitious plan for developing Arctic areas by the year 2020, including substantial deployment of military units to protect its political and economic interests.
A fifth of Russia’s territory is in the Arctic, but only 1.6 percent of the population lives there.
Local population decline, including among indigenous peoples, climate change and potential environmental damage are among other threats to Arctic development, the report said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- mythoslightAnd the western fascist regimes...21:12, 05/11/2013..are unprepared for any assault since they lack the equipment, the power and the money to do so. Not to mention that western people´s appetite for wars of conquest are at an all time low. Russian technology is supreme in these conditions. By the time Russia has re-built its desired presence the west will be way behind.
- mobealeNeither is anyone else!05:10, 07/11/2013Let's leave it that way.[