UNITED NATIONS, September 24 (RIA Novosti) – US President Barack Obama pushed back Tuesday against Russian President Vladimir Putin, insisting that “America is exceptional” because it is prepared to fight not just for its own national interests but for the rights of people in other parts of the world.
In an address to the UN General Assembly, Obama acknowledged that US “engagement” in the Middle East had been met with hostility from some but argued that US disengagement from the region would create power vacuums no one else could fill and would present a bigger threat to world security.
“Some may disagree. But I believe America is exceptional – in part because we have shown a willingness, through the sacrifice of blood and treasure, to stand up not only for our own narrow self-interest, but for the interests of all,” Obama said.
His remarks were seen as a direct response to an op-ed piece by Putin published earlier this month in The New York Times in which the Russian leader, referencing earlier comments by Obama, said: “It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation.”
Putin’s comments – that one in particular – triggered an emotional backlash from US politicians and also sparked a continuing public debate about the US approach to foreign policy in general and preconceptions that underpin that approach.
The United States and Russia are working on a plan to ensure the destruction of chemical weapons in Syria. Washington is pushing for a UN resolution containing a threat of military force if the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad does not comply with the plan, an approach Moscow rejects.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Mikhail1228The World's Bully20:52, 24/09/2013America's Foreign Policy is that of the world's bully!
- bielecAmerica is exceptional :) ha, ha, ha...21:03, 24/09/2013America is prepared to fight for the rights and interests of others - especially in countries rich in energy resources and in countries in which pipelines should be built to sell these resources to Europe.
I have not seen this exceptional America fight for the rights of people in Bahrain, Qatar, or Saudi Arabia. The only "other" that America is really helping is the criminal state of Israel.
Obama skept one important fact - people in countries bombed by America do not appreciate his "help." Especially people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, in former Yugoslavia, in Iraq, in Libya, in Yemen, in Pakistan or anywhere else in the world where American bombs, missiles, soldiers, mercenaries, and terrorists ruined entire countries and killed countless scores of civilians in the process.
Excuse that "US disengagement from the region would create power vacuum" is ridiculous. This mess was created by America in the first place, it is a result of American "engagement", not an excuse for continuing aggression. There was no power vacuum in these countries before Americans had "engaged."
America is only exceptional in ignoring international law and in this respect it is no different than Nazi Germany. Actually, Hitler was more honest than Obama - he did not lie to the world about his real agenda. What a shame!
- cheruskObama is a dangerous puppet22:46, 24/09/2013There is something worst than war: it's slavery, serfdom to the biblical usurocratic chosen. Whose son is Obama ? Of a khazar white woman
- Panthera PardusIf Obomber starts to believe its own propaganda then..22:58, 24/09/2013.. a turning point is reached.. "for the rights of people"? The violation of 4th amendament has been completely disclosed and has this monkey taken corrective action? I mean, this is Obomber, the Nobel for Peace who makes the weekly meeting to decide who is going to kill by drone, also bystander but they are clearly enemy combatants but hey “America is exceptional”
- ValSUS is Exceptional00:40, 25/09/2013Well, as for the government is concerned...Exceptionally STUPID!
A bunch of whiny egomaniac hypocritical truly vile and stupid government officials all bought and paid for by corrupt individuals such as the Rothchild's and Saudis and corporations.
- rochefortfrancois(no title)02:36, 25/09/2013US is an exceptional place to live when your rich, criminal, corrupt and gay!
- 13302020dashingAmerican Exceptionalism02:47, 25/09/2013As an American I agree that our country is exceptional. It has an exceptional idiot for a president.
- Panthera Pardusfor a review of American success read what ex-CIA says16:11, 25/09/2013before going into the subject of his article the author (ex CIA in Italy) makes a summary of situation in places where, in Obomber own words, " we have shown a willingness .. to stand up .. for the interests of all,”
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has surged ahead on the foreign policy stage, but this is not enough to remain a great power. The tough-minded policies and masterful diplomacy of Russia’s leadership have maximized the country’s position in the world, and are now the main source of its international influence and prestige. Russia’s foreign policy in the next decade depends entirely on what happens at home.