MOSCOW, August 23 (RIA Novosti) – Four members of one family in Russia’s republic of Tatarstan, on the Volga, have been killed by gas from rotten potatoes they were storing in a garage, local investigators said on Friday.
The bodies of a 42-year-old man, his wife, 38, their son, 18, and mother-in-law, 63, were found in the basement of the garage in the town of Laishevo on Thursday afternoon, the local Investigative Committee said.
“They likely died through poisoning by the gas that had built up in the basement from rotting potatoes,” the statement said.
According to investigators, the man, a university teacher, was the first to fall victim to the “potato gas,” when he fainted after going down into the basement.
His wife and son followed him down, and also succumbed to the noxious gas, the statement said.
The elderly woman called a neighbor to help, but went down into the basement herself and was later found there, dead, investigators said.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
New ties between Russia and Japan would mark not only a breakthrough in their relations but also a significant shift in Northeast Asia’s political dynamic. Both are secondary players in a region overshadowed by an increasingly assertive China, which has not hesitated to push against the boundaries of its neighbors.