Topic: Gay Propaganda Ban in Russia
MOSCOW, August 16 (RIA Novosti) – A prominent British choreographer has rejected an invitation to work in Russia because of the Kremlin’s stance on gay rights and what he called Russia’s “lethal legitimization of prejudice,” according to an open letter published in a contemporary dance magazine this week.
“I cannot consent to an invitation that is funded by a ministry department within a state that also promotes the penalization, maltreatment and stigmatizing of LGBT people,” Ben Wright wrote in a response that was posted Monday on the website of Article 19.
“I have been in a committed relationship for 17 years with my husband and I will not temper or censor who I am one iota. [Russian President Vladimir] Putin has made it pointedly clear that people like me are not welcome in Russia.”
With less than six months before Russia is due to host the Winter Olympics, the country has faced growing condemnation by officials, celebrities and prominent gay rights activists from around the world over a new law passed by the State Duma banning the “promotion of non-traditional relationships to minors.”
Critics say the law amounts to a state-supported crackdown on gay people, while Russian officials maintain that it is intended to protect minors from “propaganda” about “non-traditional” relationships, and does not restrict the freedom of adults to make their own sexual choices.
Wright, who founded the bgroup dance company in 2008, was asked to take part in a program sponsored by Russia’s Culture Ministry to teach dancers and choreographers in regional Russian cities.
“Putin's agenda to engineer and enforce a 'heteronormative' culture in Russia is akin to Hitler's 'solution' to the Jews and the minorities he considered undesirable in Nazi Germany,” wrote Wright. “My heart goes out to those individuals who find themselves at the mercy of Russia's new legislation.”
Gay activists in the United Kingdom have rallied against discrimination in Russia in recent weeks, with a protest in central London on Saturday attracting hundreds of participants, according to media reports.
Broadcaster and actor Stephen Fry, who spoke at the protest, wrote an open letter last week to British Prime Minister David Cameron comparing Russia to Nazi Germany in the 1930s, condemning the “barbaric, fascist law that Putin has pushed through the Duma” and calling for a total boycott of the Sochi Olympics.
Wright also used his letter to call for a boycott of the 2014 Olympics, which he said he hoped would force the Duma to “consider their abhorrent human rights violations.”
Cameron, like his US counterpart President Barack Obama, has criticized Russia over its treatment of gay people, but has stopped short of calling for an Olympic boycott.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecThis is a misleading, anti-Russia propaganda12:59, 16/08/2013Similarly, the Change.org has recently posted an online petition addressed to Canadian and American Olympic Teams to: "Take a stand against Russia’s brutal anti-gay laws. Wear a rainbow pin at the games."
This petition attempts to create a false impression that so called alternative life style is outlawed in Russia. In part, it reads:
“For those who haven't heard, Russia recently passed new legislation that criminalizes "Gay Propaganda." This means that anyone who is gay, is suspected of being gay, or just accused of being gay can go to jail.”
This is simply not true and it is a politically motivated propaganda. It is a lie.
Russia has clearly stated that being a gay or practicing alternative sexual relationships is not illegal. What is being outlawed is a gay propaganda to minors.
Surely, everyone able to think independently can see the difference.
Promotion of alternative sexual relations to minors often results in choices made by youth that are not based on genetic conditions but instead on social, environmental, and psychological factors. Many of my former students became gay because their friends were gay, because they wanted to be original, because they wanted to get attention, because they viewed it as a fashion, because they rebelled against their parents or because they wanted to fit in. Some became gay because they were assured at early age that “there is nothing wrong with it” or that it is “normal” or a “biological reality”. These choices have hurt them for a lifetime.
As parents, we do not support promotion of gay/lesbian relationships to our children and this is an issue hotly debated in Canada. We believe that sex education is a domain that exclusively belongs to the parents and that the state or schools should have no part in it. Schools should concentrate on teaching academic subjects, something that is not a priority anymore.
Controversial decisions made by our Ministers of Education in this area do not reflect prevailing beliefs or aspirations of the majority of Canadians. They serve and reflect the well known trends that are based on a purely political agenda. This social engineering agenda aims at destroying traditional cultural and moral values. It is best summarized by the following quotation:
“To achieve world government, it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism, and religious dogmas.”
- Brock Chisholm, Psychiatrist, Director UN World Health Organization (1948-53).
Russia’s legislation outlaws promotion of homosexual relationships to minors. It does not outlaw homosexual relationship, as such. Most of Canadian parents wish that a similar legislation is introduced and passed in Canada.
Most of us believe that this issue should not be mixed with Olympic Games. We also believe that athletes should respect the laws in countries in which they compete and should not interfere with the right of Russians to establish their own laws according to their own traditions and preferences.
So should choreographers, politicians, and everybody else.
- moistBoring propaganda and a predictable move...13:32, 16/08/2013...He had his five minutes of fame as any western idiot can, just follow the western Borg-collective against it´s enemy de jour and do as you are told. Which second hand "artist" is next?
But more importantly, WHAT`S next in this Anglo-American blow-out-of-proportion propaganda stunt?
Welcome back Jimmie Savile?, hero of Britain not so bad after all, huh?
Sexual parades for your 4 year olds?
Mandatory sexual summer camps for children "get to know your sexuality"?
The god-less anglo-american sphere is lost in it´s depravity. Propagating perverted sexual life styles -"Gay rights"? Disgusting and repulsive!
- gauag10(no title)13:43, 16/08/2013How about stop riding on petrol cars and bus?
Those come from Saudi. Gays are shot to death in Saudi
- kylesvetWestern Propaganda Article...13:46, 16/08/2013More of the same bull...
- bielecNot surprisingly...15:19, 16/08/2013...most of these gay / feminist / alternative church / xxx videos / education "reforms" / NGOs /etc. activities are supported and financed by well known culprits pushing the NWO agenda - the Ford, Soros, and other similar foundations.
It's all politically motivated as it weakens independent sources of culture (family, religion, school), fragments societies, demoralizes nations, and destroys solidarity between people. It also dumbs down entire populations and makes them more likely to be manipulated, pauperized, and used.
- Mikhail1228Why doesn't?16:08, 16/08/2013Why doesn't Obama say anything about Qatar and Saudi Arabia that executes gays? Where's all of his indignation about this? Who in their right minds wants their little children exposed to this gay shit? Why do they have to hear about it and why does it need to be promoted to them? I have to laud President Putin for having the balls to stand up against this and for standing up for traditional families, children and Christianity. Too bad our leaders in the US are too weak and spineless to do the same. Increasingly, religious Russians look on America, with our Hollywood values and celebrations of homosexuality, as a sick society, a focus of cultural and moral evil in the world.
- ResipsaloquiturRE:Why Obama's Administration is not criticizing Saudi Arabia16:50, 17/08/2013Very simple,dear Mikhail 1228
Because USA and Quatar and Saudi Arabia are very close business partners. Saudi Arabia is supplying USA with plenty of oil and the Americans are friends with those with whom they do business. There is NO friendship for them,if there are no business interests!
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has become very adept in playing the diplomatic game, in which victory depends on choosing the right associate or partner. But there are a growing number of claimants to this role in the new horizontal and interdependent world. Aside Syria and Iran, being still important, the new venues for the application of practical diplomacy may well be Ukraine, the East China Sea and Afghanistan.