- Russians Say Snowden Only Wanted to Expose Intrusion – Poll
- Snowden Saga Turned Into Trio of Video Games
- Snowden’s Dad Heading to Russia, But ‘Not This Week’
- Russia Acted on Snowden in Line With Law -- Lavrov
- Snowden or No Snowden, Moscow Hopes for Better US-Russia Ties
- US Fugitive Snowden Can Work, Travel in Russia – Official
WASHINGTON, August 15 (By Maria Young for RIA Novosti) — Attorneys for fugitive intelligence leaker Edward Snowden and his father are fuming over a transatlantic discussion the two men apparently had through an encrypted website, a source close to the case said Thursday.
“Yesterday, Lon Snowden and his son Edward communicated for about two hours,” ignoring advice from “attorneys on both sides who agreed and felt it was in the best interest of everyone, most of all Ed’s safety and security, for them to wait until Mr. Snowden visited his son in Russia,” the source told RIA Novosti.
“The father did it on his own,” essentially ignoring “very firm” recommendations from the younger Snowden’s Russian attorney, Anatoly Kucherena, and Lon Snowden’s US attorney, Bruce Fein, said the source, who asked not to be named.
“His fatherly feelings proved stronger than security awareness but nevertheless we don’t recommend using the Internet for communication, not even via an encrypted channel, even though we understand that Edward is an IT expert,” Kucherena told RIA Novosti.
Edward Snowden is currently in a safe place, undergoing an adaptation course, and is OK, he said.
The father-son communication, which lasted roughly two hours, was “like a chat room” and did not involve discussion by voice or identifying images, the source said.
But it did spark concerns among the legal team, RIA Novosti was told.
The move “put everybody’s credibility at risk… We don’t even know who’s on the other side, how do we know it’s Edward? How do we know who was listening in? These are two countries with intelligence services, you’re really thinking no one’s listening in?” the source said.
The younger Snowden, a former US intelligence contractor, is wanted by the United States on espionage and theft charges after leaking classified information about the US National Security Agency’s sweeping telephone and electronic surveillance programs.
He received temporary asylum from Russia earlier this month, a move that has further strained US-Russian relations and prompted an outcry from the US administration and members of Congress.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- ResipsaloquiturRE:Self-Incrimination17:04, 17/08/2013YES,they should follow the recommendations of the lawyers as there is a danger of self-icrimination.In case Snowden returnes to his Homeland(what I would like to recommend to him),who knows HOW the Jury in a prospective trial will analyse and interpret his words?
His act of saying,what WE,ALL actually since long ago know,does NOT constitute in my opinion a TREASON,because the delict of Treason requires a HARM to USA.
The forwarding of some information to Wikileak may fulfill the requirements of a theft,which usaually is punished as misdemeanor.
- BlizzardDearly mistake made in the name of - stupidity17:05, 18/08/2013I absolutely agree that Snowden's father (if it was him for that matter) made the most stupid move so far. I myself have some experience of keeping client's identity safe for a while. No matter how much state wants to protect you the villains can and will take pick on you whenever they feel fit for as long as they know where to look for you.
If I would advise Mr Snowden I would now demand immediate place change and it would be at least 50km from existing. If Mr Snowden and his father want to last long than it would be better for them to listen to their advisers and not to break the rules set by experts.
The main event of the third day of the 11th meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club in Sochi was the closing session with President Vladimir Putin. The atmosphere was calm and open, despite the current political tensions and the Russia-West confrontation. The Russian president said that it corresponded to the spirit of the Valdai Club.