MOSCOW, June 30 (RIA Novosti) – President Vladimir Putin has signed into law a bill banning the promotion of “non-traditional sexual relations” toward minors, Russia’s official website of legal information said on Sunday.
The law will levy fines for such offenses from 800,000 rubles ($24,000) to 1 million rubles ($30,500) for legal entities, from 4,000 rubles ($120) to 5,000 rubles ($150) for individuals and from 40,000 rubles ($1,220) to 50,000 rubles ($1,530) for officials. Legal entities may also be suspended for 90 days for the promotion of “non-traditional sexual relations” toward children.
Promotion of such relations with the use of mass media or Internet resources will see harsher penalties of 50,000-100,000 rubles ($1,520-3,050) for individuals, 100,000-200,000 rubles ($3,050-6,115) for officials and 1 million rubles or 90-day suspension for legal entities.
While the law’s proponents argue it is aimed at protecting children from harmful influences, critics allege the move is part of a broader crackdown on Russia’s gay community.
Russia has come under international criticism, including from the European Court of Human Rights, for its treatment of the gay community.
Putin reiterated on Tuesday that the rights of sexual minorities in Russia were not being violated in any way.
When asked about a recently passed bill that would impose fines of up to 1 million rubles for promoting homosexuality toward minors, Putin said that sexual minorities “are full-fledged members of our society and are not being discriminated against in any way.”
“It’s not about imposing some sort of sanctions on homosexuality. … It’s about protecting children from such information,” Putin said.
“Certain countries ... think that there is no need to protect [children] from this. … But we are going to provide such protection the way that State Duma [parliamentary] lawmakers have decided. We ask you not to interfere in our governance,” he said.
Updated to replace the term "homosexual propaganda" with "promotion of non-traditional sexual relations” in headline and throughout the text
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistThere aren`t words to...19:19, 30/06/2013..describe the courage of this outstanding freedom fighter and super intelligent chess player.
If you don´t buy that, just consider the fact that every high ranking member of the tribe in the US and their useful "Christian" Zionists hates him beyond reason. Whatever these evil warmongers and "israel"-firsters hates is fresh air for the gentiles...
- bielecDon't allow the Borg / (the Tribe) to destroy national culture12:08, 01/07/2013Google PAFE (Parents as First Educators), a Canadian Catholic parent organization fighting with the government's agenda that introduces extended sex education in schools.
At the time when academic subjects are no longer a priority in Canadian schools, this government's clearly zionist agenda includes teaching elementary school students about "non-traditional sexual relations". It is being widely perceived as part of the NWO demoralization agenda that seeks to destroy traditional cultural values in order to remove the sense of nationality from the minds of people.
Parents are outraged and are telling the government to back off from what they consider their exclusive domain.
- email@example.comPutin Signs Gay Propaganda Ban Into Law04:03, 03/07/2013Kudos to President Putin for this brave act. We need such a leader in the US, as our children are in imminent danger of being corrupted by the pro-gay propaganda that is being pushed daily.
- Mikhail1228Vladimir Putin the world's toughest leader!07:21, 03/07/2013Putin has the balls to tell it like it is. In the US the economy sucks. Many struggle without employment and many employed live from hand to mouth. Our media is fixated on everything "Gay". Gay is more important than jobs and the economy, more important than world events and more important than 90% of the hetero population. Thank God for Vladimir Putin. He has balls!
- alexk2(no title)17:34, 14/10/2013LOL the comments on this thread are jokes
- alexk2(no title)17:35, 14/10/2013and full of fail
Image Galleries: This Week in Pictures
Infographics: Nobel Peace Prize