Topic: Protests in Syria
- EU Lifts Arms Embargo on Syrian Opposition
- Moscow Slams EU Move to Lift Syria Arms Ban
- Scrapped Syrian Arms Ban May Draw Terrorism to EU - Iran
- Russia, US at Odds After EU Move on Syria Arms
HELSINKI, May 29 (RIA Novosti) – Russia is disappointed with the EU move to end the ban on arms sales to the Syrian opposition and may reconsider its own commitments to restrictions on weapons deliveries to the war-torn country, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday.
“Every decision has two sides. If one side lifts restrictions, the other may consider itself free from observing earlier commitments,” Shoigu said at a joint news conference in Helsinki with his Finnish counterpart, Carl Haglund.
Russia has been harshly criticized by the West for reported deliveries of six S-300 air defense systems to Syria under a 2010 contract rumored to be worth $900 million.
Moscow, however, has insisted that such deliveries would be legal under international law and has denied supplying Syria with offensive weapons that can be used to kill civilians.
Before the start of the rebellion against Bashar Assad’s regime in March 2011, Syria, the largest importer of Russian arms in the Middle East, had shown interest in purchasing various armored vehicles, Yak-130 combat trainer aircraft and Iskander-E tactical ballistic missiles.
Moscow decided at the time to hold off delivering offensive weapons to the Syrian regime on worries that it could upset the balance of power in the Middle East.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- flyer19999S-300 air defense system05:41, 30/05/2013Vietnam is the only country to have success against US aircraft. During Vietnam war over 1,500 US aircraft were shot down or destroyed.
- tec123Russia and Mr. Putin put your conscience to rest and do what you have to do, don’t not lose this fight for your inter international credibility is at stake here as a protector of your interest.07:04, 30/05/2013This is the problem here words like if, may, considering ect, ect. Come on Russia can you all not see where this is all heading one day right back at you so step up and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
They are they are talking of ending the way in front your face, but turning around and supplying the guns.Russia is within the law but afraid to supply weapons they are not within international law and do not care about international law and they are supplying the guns whiles Russia decelerates IF TO SEND WEPONDS?
- cheruskIn advance of WW II11:29, 30/05/2013It takes us to recollect the Spanish civil war 1936-139 when European foreign countries sent in volunteers to fight.
- mobealetit for tat18:28, 30/05/2013Assad is using Russian planes and bombs to blow up people and cities with impunity. Russia has been successful in mitigating any defense against these atrocities. Might there be a response in kind if these missiles are deployed?
Almost makes you wish for the "good old days"of the cold war (Russia was generally on the "right" side then). The propping up of Assad now and for the last 2 years will undoubtedly lead to a victory by a 3rd party -Al Quida and a loss for the people of Syria who undoubtedly don't give a horses potoody about geo-politics.
Also, for further reading one should check out Assad's daddy's response to a similar insurrection. Like father, like son..
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: A down-to-earth person
Infographics: Sochi Paralympics Medal Count
The project of a Eurasian Union can be considered as a response to the consequences of neo-liberal globalisation, which led to economic and moral decline in the countries forming the Commonwealth of Independent States. It is part of a more general movement in world politics towards regionalisation.