Topic: Punk Group Pussy Riot Case
- Jailed Pussy Riot Member Files for Parole - Radio
- Pussy Riot Prisoner Sent to Hospital
- Court Dismisses Pussy Riot Member’s Deferral Plea
- Pussy Riot Member Punished for Oversleeping
BEREZNIKI, May 22 (RAPSI) - Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina has declared a hunger strike after a regional court denied her access to her parole appeal hearing.
Alyokhina, who was taking part in the proceedings at the Berezniki City Court in the Perm Territory via a videoconference facility at her prison, refused to continue taking part and barred her defense team from representing her interests, after being denied transportation to the courthouse.
A Moscow court sentenced Alyokhina and two other Pussy Riot members - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich - to two years in prison in August 2012 for hooliganism motivated by religious hatred, for performing a "punk-prayer" against President Vladimir Putin in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in central Moscow in February 2012.
An edited video of their performance was posted on the Internet and caused an outcry among Orthodox Church followers.
In October 2012, the Moscow City Court changed Samutsevich's sentence to a suspended term and released her immediately, based on her new attorneys' arguments that she was seized by security guards prior to reaching the altar and was therefore prevented from carrying out the offense.
Alyokhina's and Tolokonnikova's sentences were upheld.
In April, the Zubova Polyana District Court in Russia's republic of Mordovia rejected Tolokonnikova's request for parole.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Arthur Clarkpussy Riot CONVICT04:02, 23/05/2013This pussy girl convict is exactly where she is supposed to be, she has absolutely no remorse or repentance. Their act was not a "prayer" against the Russian President if RIA Novosti would post all the words that pussy riot sang everybody would know that. I wonder what would happen to Paul M. if he sang the same song in Westmenster Abby? Of course he would not do that because it would be the end for him in Britain. But yet these sluts pussy riot are put on a pedestal by the western media for desecrating the foremost ROC Cathedral in Moscow.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has surged ahead on the foreign policy stage, but this is not enough to remain a great power. The tough-minded policies and masterful diplomacy of Russia’s leadership have maximized the country’s position in the world, and are now the main source of its international influence and prestige. Russia’s foreign policy in the next decade depends entirely on what happens at home.