- Boston Bombing May Boost US-Russia Cooperation - Experts
- Boston Suspects’ Russian Parents to Visit US
- Kremlin, Colin Powell Discuss Terrorism, Security in Moscow
- In Small Boston Diaspora, Echoes of Chechnya
MOSCOW, April 25 (RIA Novosti) – Last week’s tragedy in Boston should prompt Russia and the United States to cooperate more closely in dealing with such threats, Russian President Vladimir Putin said during his televised question-and-answer session on Thursday.
“I just call for this tragedy to be an incentive for us to become closer in tackling common threats, with terrorism being one of the most important and dangerous of them. If indeed we combine our efforts, we won’t take such hits and sustain such losses,” he said.
The Russian president said he had always resented it when terrorists who committed “savage, bloody, appalling crimes on Russian territory were referred to in no other way but rebels, and were seldom or never called terrorists” by Western media and politicians.
“They received aid, information support, as well as financial and political [aid]. Sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly, but they always had it for their activities on Russian territory,” Putin said. “But we have always said that we should not just make statements about it being a common threat, we should take the matter into our hands and cooperate with each other more closely.”
The Associated Press cited two unnamed US officials as saying on Thursday that the Russian government had contacted the FBI and the CIA separately in 2011 with concerns about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the two brothers the authorities suspect of being behind the twin blasts at the finish line of the Boston Marathon that killed three and injured about 200 on April 15.
The brothers have been identified as ethnic Chechens who lived in Dagestan, a violence-ridden republic in Russia’s North Caucasus region, and the Central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan before moving to the United States nearly a decade ago.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed during a shootout with police in the Boston suburb of Watertown on Friday. His brother Dzhokhar was apprehended hours later. He remains in a Boston hospital where he is being treated for injuries to his head, neck, legs and hand.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction, which could carry the death penalty.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- akbarLet's give the peace a chance.John Lennon18:19, 25/04/2013I trully believe that president Putin should go ahead to create a similar news website like Ria Novosti for Syria ,so revolutionaries from all over the world would get a chance to voice their support for Syrian Arab army as well as a chance for honest debates and discussions regarding Syria and other countries in middle east&orth africa.This web site should be managed by "Putinists" and those who are dedicated to uphold freedom of speech and international peace.A bit like RT(24 hour Russian TV)but with no limitation on comments(RT currently limits((freedom of speech)) to "one line comment" or 100 bytes only), which can't trully reflect the people's views.Suggested names for this web site are as follows;'The Syrian revolutionary post','The secular Syrian news','Syrian news for secular MENA'(Middle east&North Africa),'The Secular Syria news for peace'.This request is not for just Syria,its also for the rest of the world.It would a gift to world's peace.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.