Topic: Protests in Syria
- Obama Warns Syria’s Assad Over Chemical Weapons
- Moscow Slams US Recognition of Syria Opposition
- US Denies Arming Syrian Opposition
- Putin Reassures Turkey that Syria Is No Threat
- EU Recognizes Syrian Anti-Assad Coalition
MOSCOW, December 13 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is concerned by the prospect of Syrian chemical weapons falling into terrorist hands, Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov said on Thursday.
“The greatest danger is that parts of Syria continue to fall under the control of the opposition where extremists, terrorists, and al-Qaeda have strong positions,” he said. “That could have very serious consequences.”
“Everyone is afraid of that, including our American partners,” he said, adding that militants are already gaining control of military arsenals on the ground, including antiaircraft missiles.
That could also happen to chemical weapon stockpiles, Bogdanov said.
“This has already happened in Aleppo with the seizure of a plant manufacturing chemical components that can be used for terrorist purposes,” he said.
The Syrian authorities have assured Moscow that they will not use chemical weapons against rebel forces.
Syria has not signed the international Chemical Weapons Convention and is believed to possess mustard gas and sarin, an extremely toxic nerve agent. The CIA says Syria has had a chemical weapons program "for years” and that the weapons can be “delivered by aircraft, ballistic missile, and artillery rockets." But Syria has never deployed the weapons, although it warned this summer that they could be used against “foreign invaders.”
Western powers have warned Assad that any use of chemical weapons would be unacceptable. US President Barack Obama has told Syria that the movement or use of chemical weapons would have “enormous consequences.”
The Syrian conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives since the uprising against Assad started in March 2011, according to UN reports.
Russia, along with China, has drawn heavy Western criticism for its refusal to support UN sanctions against Assad's regime. Moscow said the proposed UN resolutions in fact betrayed a pro-rebel bias and would do nothing to bring peace.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistFifth column Bogdanov again..18:38, 14/12/2012..Who write his statements? Does he get them by mail from Victoria Nuland and Hitlery Klingon? Nevermind, Im pretty sure "diversion Boganov" are being kept out of it but FSB of course knows very well where these weapons are as well as all Russian-made super sonic missiles and other defensive nastinesses that would make a hell out of any direct NATO/Zionist invasion attempts. If reports on Iskander´s being delivered and supervised by Russian military experts are true, Russia and Syria has nothing to be "worried" about...
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: Sledge Hockey
The unconstitutional takeover in Ukraine was the toughest, consistent and so far most effective Western counterattack launched amid the ongoing struggle for a fairer world order. Only the naïve believe that the United States and Europe will willingly share their right to rule the world, though their belief is worthy of respect.