Russian Opposition Vote Derailed by Hacker Attack© RIA Novosti
Russian Opposition Vote Derailed by Hacker Attack© RIA Novosti. Ramil Sitdikov
MOSCOW, October 20 (RIA Novosti)
- Opposition to Vote in Self-Styled Elections
- Probe Launched into Theft of Russian ‘Opposition Funds’
- Due West: The Right & Wrong of Authority & Opposition
- Opposition Fail to Capitalize on Election Discontent
- Russian Opposition Activist Put on Wanted List
Electronic voting to the coordination council of Russia’s street opposition was temporarily suspended Saturday over a hacker attack, the movement’s central election committee said via Twitter Saturday.
“It is possible that the online voting has been affected by DDoS attacks,” the committee said, referring to a Distributed Denial-of-Service attack, a common form of hacking that denies users access to targeted websites.
More than 165,000 people have registered to vote electronically for official leaders to the coordinating committee, which claims it is following up on the 10-month-old protest movement’s demand for free elections and fair representation.
The committee will be comprised of civic activists, liberals, leftists and nationalists. The 45-seat council, in which 30 seats will go to civic activists while five will go to each of the political forces, is also aimed at representing the movement in the case of a potential dialogue with the authorities.
The all-electronic voting is being held Saturday and Sunday, both online and at polling stations across a handful of Russian regions.
The central election committee announced it will provide further details on its Twitter feed.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- shanksinhaTroublemakers19:30, 20/10/2012It wouldn't be past these crazies to engineer this kind of cyber attack on themselves to compensate for the low number of votes they have managed to pull in. It is high time troublemakers like these so called street protesters realize that not everyone in Russia supports their lunatic agenda.
- gunshipdemocracyha ha USA did it to cover low support amongst Russian population21:34, 20/10/2012towards traitors of their own kind. People in Russia are not naive and Friends of Syria Russia scenario is not possible.
Image Galleries: Hungry Hippos, Tiny Tamarins and Other Animal News
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Russia has surged ahead on the foreign policy stage, but this is not enough to remain a great power. The tough-minded policies and masterful diplomacy of Russia’s leadership have maximized the country’s position in the world, and are now the main source of its international influence and prestige. Russia’s foreign policy in the next decade depends entirely on what happens at home.