Topic: Punk Group Pussy Riot Case
MOSCOW, October 19 (RIA Novosti)
- Pussy Riot’s Samutsevich: ‘For Me, Russia Is Like A Big Prison’
- Pussy Riot Seek Deferred Sentence
- Pussy Riot Member Freed by Moscow Court
- Pussy Riot Shortlisted for Sakharov Prize
- Church Calls for Court Leniency, if Pussy Riot Punkers Repent
Yekaterina Samutsevich, a member of the anti-Putin punk group Pussy Riot, has lodged a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights, Kommersant daily reported on Friday.
Last week a Moscow court freed Samutsevich at an appeal hearing, but ruled that two other women in the anti-Putin punk group must serve out their two-year sentences.
Samutsevich’s lawyer Irina Khrunova said that the arrest of her client was an infringement of the freedom to express opinion and “violates the Article 10 of the European Convention that guarantees the freedom of speech.”
Khrunova said that the final and detailed complaint will be submitted with the human rights court in Strasbourg by the end of the year.
The three women were jailed for two years on August 17, after a court found them guilty of “hooliganism with the aim of inciting religious hatred” in a decision that drew sharp international criticism.
Lawyers for the group have rejected the argument that the group’s 40-second performance of a song entitled “Holy S**t” was anti-religion, saying it was a protest against the Orthodox Church’s support for Vladimir Putin ahead of the presidential elections on March 4.
The two other group members detained after the February 21 performance, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, and Maria Alyokhina, 24, are now set to be transferred to a penal colony hundreds of miles from Moscow.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- rochefortfrancoisbla bla bla12:31, 19/10/2012She should also join the US financed organisation FEMEN or go back to jail. At least we would be more interested to whatch here when she is talking.
- gunshipdemocracyperform first mosque in Paris and then if (still alive) synagogue in London16:02, 19/10/2012then I wait for verdict ha ha ha
- sepheronxWhat a tool.18:24, 19/10/2012She is pandering to others, looking for sympathy. What is funny, is usually people like these that turn to the European courts, are usually criminals (they soon move to london or USA). But that was the oligarchy in the early 2000's. Now it is with street performers too? Yeah, she should turn to the EU courts, and maybe leave Russia to EU. Maybe she can do the same stupid stunt in Germany or somewhere else.
What a tool.
- andorSick and tired18:27, 23/10/2012Sick and tired of the entire Hussy Riot affair. The hussies have already declared that Verzilov, for example, does not represent them, while he himself basked in all THEIR glory in the US, dragging his kid along for added effect.He should be arrested for the child abuse, but no, he was wined and dined by Yoko Ono and some such fading celebrities..
- mrgenieI wouldn't do that!12:42, 25/10/2012The Tzar said that every Russian who has contacts with international organizations (obviously he forgot his relations) is a spy. So the moment she turns to the international court for human rights, she's officially a spy. 20 more years in prison :)
Of course, these laws do not apply for supporters of the Tzar. They will only be applies for people who are against the Tzar. That's how the Tzar, who this weeks private wealth is rated already at 49 Billion, he has a marvelous income, but that aside, that's how he is protecting his private wealth. He's so smart to make sure Russia will be destroyed and his private wealth is secured abroad. No wonder he reacts very allergic to protesters. Image someone steps up and stops him from destroying the Russian Federation and most of all steal from it.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: History of the Paralympic Games
We have witnessed the total defeat of western Ukraine, Western nationalists and the West in general, which made the unfortunate decision to support the anti-government activity. They failed to realize that the collapse of Yanukovych means the collapse of Ukrainian unity. They set fire to their own home and planted a time bomb under Ukraine’s territorial integrity.