Topic: Punk Group Pussy Riot Case
BRUSSELS, September 14 (RIA Novosti)
- Pussy Riot Should Walk – Russian PM
- Kremlin Oligarch Foe Denies Funding ‘Demonic’ Pussy Riot
- Putin Denies Role in Pussy Riot Case
- Over Half of Russians Say Pussy Riot Sentence Fair
- Pussy Riot Appeals Verdict
Three jailed members of the punk group Pussy Riot were nominated by the European Parliament for a prestigious prize named after Soviet human rights activist Andrei Sakharov.
Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alyokhina and Ekaterina Samutsevich, who were sentenced last month to two years in prison for their "punk prayer" in Moscow's Christ the Savior cathedral in February, were nominated by German parliament member Werner Schulz for the "For freedom of thought" award, otherwise known as the Sakharov Prize.
Other nominees include Belarusian human rights activist Ales Bialiatski, as well as members of the Rwandan and Iranian opposition.
The candidates will be officially presented on September 25 in Brussels. The winner will be chosen in December in Strasbourg.
The Sakharov Prize, which comes with a 50,000 euro award, is given to individuals and organizations who have made a special contribution to the protection of human rights.
Nelson Mandela and Soviet dissident Anatoly Marchenko, who died in prison in 1986, were the first to be awarded the prize in 1988.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- bielecSoros' fingers all over this nonsense16:22, 14/09/2012How serious is it? A prestigeous award given to three punks for shaking their a$$es and b**bs in a church to protest a president democratically elected by the majority of the voters. Ridiculous.
How about giving this award to the protesters in Bahrain?
- Panthera PardusWe do not have video of Sakharov engaged in sexual activities22:25, 14/09/2012also, I do not think that Sakharov would have ever desacrated a Church.
what a sad ending..
I am a citzien of a country in the EU, I wish this union disappears, no citzien cares about it, it is just important for the Banks..
- rochefortfrancoisblablabla23:21, 14/09/2012My god, can't beleive europe is going down so fast. Something is really going wrong this days no?
- NikoThere is something seriusly wrong with some people in western siciety today01:40, 15/09/2012They have completely lost their compas and common sense.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: Sledge Hockey
The unconstitutional takeover in Ukraine was the toughest, consistent and so far most effective Western counterattack launched amid the ongoing struggle for a fairer world order. Only the naïve believe that the United States and Europe will willingly share their right to rule the world, though their belief is worthy of respect.