Topic: Protests in Syria
MOSCOW, August 18 (RIA Novosti)
- China Welcomes New Syria Envoy
- Clinton Pledges Support to New UN Envoy for Syria
- Moscow Warns Against ‘Burying’ Geneva Agreements on Syria
- Russia Suspends Syria Action Group Meeting
Moscow hopes that Lakhdar Brahimi, the new UN-Arab League representative for Syria, will follow Kofi Annan’s peace plan, the Geneva accords and UN Security Council resolutions, the Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
Algeria’s former foreign minister Lakhdar Brahimi replaced Kofi Annan as peace envoy to Syria on Friday.
“We act on the assumption that Brahimi will build his activity on the existing ‘roadmap’ for the Syrian settlement,” the ministry said in a statement posted on its website.
“We hope that he will continue contacts with all sides in Syria, encouraging them toward an early end to violence and the start of political dialog on the country’s future.”
The ministry said Russian diplomats are ready for close cooperation with the new envoy.
Moscow has welcomed Brahimi’s appointment and pledged support for him.
“We hope that the activity by this experienced diplomat will expedite the cessation of violence and political settlement in the country,” Russian UN envoy Vitaly Churkin said. “We will give him every assistance.”
Brahimi, 78, formally accepted the post and will resume efforts for a diplomatic solution to Syria's crisis, said Eduardo del Buey, deputy spokesman for Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon.
Annan, who assumed his post in February and authored a six-point peace plan aimed at ending the Syrian conflict, announced in early August that he would quit by the end of the month citing the deadlock at the UN Security Council over ways to resolve the current political crisis in the country.
Since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups. The West is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad’s ouster, while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria saying the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- AIASSA01Vladimir Putin ... Most Capable Establishing Trust and Peace - Over USA Vs Syria08:59, 19/08/2012With russia most people realize that as neighboriong countrys to the middle eastern regions is closer linked to a stronghold in all respects for religion and over solving problems systmatically. It is also a fact the (western europe) is continues to be caught hung up on religion and econnomics tryiong to slavage a faulty (EU- Dollar) in global control for position in the world economic system. The United states has continued to BAILOUT Great Britian - allied in nearly all counter intellegence measure ONLY if it is benifitial through regions natural resources such as oil trade by BP OIL - that will never promote peace - only hard feelings. Vlaimir Putin (yes) he has the advantage future diplomatic approach with experince to offer aide to all other as soveirgn countrie's trying to rebuild and INDEPENDENT - economic system for the people!! FREE from disparge of it's country with out expectaing other country's to fall under the British rule and ancient zionism!
THE E-ETU - AS and Independent Economic System and APEC for a internationa free trade compact respecting (all countries) with out the treat of trade sanctions by ENGLAND to have imobilized the peace keeping process by global elitits like Rupert Murdock or allegations imposed by Sharon Charone!!
Peace is not war ... for to need of resource to build thier own empire like the history of england has done so many time through out aal of the worlds history!!
Example like the War of 1812 and again later by the British Vatican 1909 by KING GEORGE V Knight of the Round Table!
Thank God For Vladimir Putin!!
- AIASSA01ONE THING IS FOR CERTIAN .... 9-11-200109:10, 19/08/2012THE ATTACK ON THE WORLD TRADE CENTER... who finaclially profited without a senate hearing in the united states - other - court order to surpress the information from being released to the general public after a threat of terrorism?? ( Rampguy - denied allegations involving an inside job? Why? JP MORGAN - Larry Silverstien - BP (GULF OIL SPILL) all (always) Profited billions of dollars in other prymid schemes!
THE SECRETS OF BRITSH VATICAN - 1909 and the creation of WTO - and stock markets after world war one and ar generated efforts to create an international market!! That should be looked by *all other ountry' .... investigate the Prymid schemes of wars that generated Billions in profit for Big Corp - and FED Banking Commissions!!
Image Galleries: Removing Protesters’ Barricades in Kiev
Infographics: First Russian Smartphone
Some people are trying to make the reality in Russia at least a bit more humane. The amnesty should apply not only to persons involved in high-profile cases, but also to individuals who are not as well-known. It is better to set free at least some of the individuals who deserve to be released than no one at all.