Topic: NGO ‘Foreign Agents’ Law
MOSCOW, July 22 (RIA Novosti)
Russia’s two largest rights organizations will not comply with the law that classes them as "foreign agents,” the NGO’s heads said just hours after President Vladimir Putin signed the controversial bill.
Putin signed on Saturday a law forcing non-government organizations engaged in political activity with foreign financing to be branded as "foreign agents."
“It is ridiculous to think that we would reject foreign donations…It is not because it is hard to raise money in Russia, though we try and will try to do it, but because we don’t see it as a crime to receive grants from legal foreign organizations,” Oleg Orlov, the head of Russia’s Memorial Rights Activist Center, told RIA Novosti.
The Memorial will not register as a foreign agent, Orlov said, adding that the NGO “will make all the possible steps against this discriminatory practice” since it is “humiliating and stupid to go and register yourself as foreign agent.”
Another prominent Russian human rights activist, Lev Ponomaryov, of the For Human Rights organization, said that the new legislation “violated a number of international agreements that Russia had signed.”
Ponomaryov did not rule out that he would go to the Constitutional Court and to the European Court on Human Rights if he was brought to justice for non-compliance with the law.
Under the new legislation, NGOs would have to publish a biannual report on their activities and carry out an annual financial audit. Failure to comply with the law could result in four-year jail sentences and/or fines of up to 300,000 rubles ($9,200).
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Wolfgang9It would be either funny22:30, 21/07/2012or absolutely stupid, if the Russian government would give a shit at what that funny "European Court on Human Rights" says.
- SirkoWolfgang....23:22, 22/07/2012...you do not say much but everything you say is dead on.
European Kangaroo Court of Human Rights! Nice easy money for the parasites.
- jg(no title)02:40, 23/07/2012As Russia is a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights, the Russian government have already agreed to "give a shit" about the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights.
- gunshipdemocracyha ha traitors and spies reaction01:42, 22/07/2012was exactly what one is expected from foreign founded V-column. Where those zionist puppets were when Russians were dying during Yeltsin times? criminals like Xodorkovsky or Berezovsky were pillaging Russia?
- moistwelcome to02:42, 22/07/2012"the free democratic world" western funded cockroaches...
- severnayazemlyaTax NGOs, a lot!02:42, 22/07/2012All of these MGOs are parasites. They are "community organizers", organizing demonstrations, causing disorder. Did they physically help clean up the Krimsk flooding debris and dead animals?
No, they prefer venues like the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg where they can stay in comfortable hotels and dine in gourmet restaurants.
- kunosouraActivist criminals06:26, 22/07/2012Don*t let criminals like the PMANE, funded by US NGOs in India to attack Kudankulam Power Station continue to operate in defiance of law. Rule by mob violence, India, Syria, et al has to stop. NOW. Put them in prison.
- PETEPETEPETECivil disobedience is still disobedience...18:25, 22/07/2012A den of traitors, sell outs, sexual deviants, hyper-americanized caviar-leftists, imbeciles, mentally unstable people etc etc (they even have neo-nazis over there!). All a pack of miserable sewer rats that was put together by evil alien forces.
Civil disobedience is still disobedience i say...give them 2 years in a forced labor camp fabricating bricks 16 hours a day.
- ArmenianZionist Jews are the enemy of Russia02:06, 23/07/2012Zionist Jews have been one of the most reliable tools that Western powers have historically exploited against the Russian state. These people have always been a cancerous presence in Russia. They are also the off-springs of genocidal criminals that brought and spread Bolshevism inside Russia.
- enzoArrogant12:16, 23/07/2012Pride leads to destruction, and arrogance to downfall. Orlov and Ponomaryov should know better!
- Mikhail1228The same law as in the US!22:27, 21/11/20121966 US Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)
The Russian NGO law that the media is wailing about was written virtually verbatim from the US law. How sinister and draconian that the term “foreign agents” is used. Please read on.
Some background supplied by the FEC: The goal of the 1966 US Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) was to "eliminate foreign intervention" in U.S. elections by establishing a series of limitations on foreign governments and nationals. In 1974, the prohibition was incorporated into the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA), giving the FEC jurisdiction over its enforcement and interpretation.According to the FEC, FECA "prohibits any foreign national or government from contributing, donating or spending funds in connection with any federal, state, or local election in the United States, either directly or indirectly. It is also unlawful to help foreign nationals or governments violate the ban or to solicit, receive or accept contributions or donations from them. Persons who knowingly and willfully engage in these activities may be subject to fines and/or imprisonment."So I guess if the Russian law is sinister and draconian so is the US law it was based upon!
- kunosouraRussian Rights Activists00:11, 22/11/2012They are not activists, they are criminals. Flagrant violation of law can never be tolerated. US Congres gave money to Mormouns to destabilize Venezuela under pretext of religion. The U.S. has attacked every country, society that couldn*t defend itself, and planned nuclear genocide of Russia at end of WW-II, Russia developed a bomb in time to save itself. Putin, develop those weapon systems quickly, don*t let the U.S., NATO et al surround you. Defend Syria.
One of the main achievements of the 6th BRICS Summit was the signing of an official document on establishing a New Development Bank with a declared capital of $100 billion. The creation of the bank is an important step towards institutionalizing BRICS and strengthening its positions in the world in the long run.