ST. PETERSBURG, July 20 (RIA Novosti)
A Russian cargo ship carrying a batch of Mi-25 attack helicopters and air defense systems for Syria has offloaded the aircraft in the Russian port of Baltiysk in the Kaliningrad region, a security source said on Friday.
"The ship has unloaded," the source said. "These helicopters are now on the shore. A decision from Rosoboronexport on what to do with them is expected shortly."
The helicopters, which were originally overhauled at the 150th aircraft repair plant in Russia's exclave of Kaliningrad, have been at the center of a diplomatic row between Russia and the West.
U.S Secretary of State Hillary Clinton accused Russia in June of supplying helicopter gunships to Damascus which could be used to massacre civilian demonstrators in the ongoing insurrection in the country. Russia said it was fulfilling a contract previously signed long ago for repair of the aircraft and denied they could be used for attacking civilians.
Femco, the shipping agent which owns the ship, the Alaed, previously said the documentation accompanying the cargo did not contain any data linking it to Syria.
The Alaed originally set sail from Baltiysk in June, allegedly carrying three Mi-25s and some air defense equipment. The ship turned back to Russia later that month, after its insurance cover was suspended by its British insurer, Standard Club. It later turned back and entered the port of Murmansk, and was later re-flagged as a Russian registered vessel.
The U.S. Congress voted to break off all contacts with Russia's state arms corporation Rosoboronexport on Thursday over concerns about Russia continuing to supply arms to Syria. Russia has maintained it is only fulfilling contracts signed before the current wave of unrest in Syria, and said last week it will not supply a batch of Yak-130 advanced jet trainers to Damascus.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- moistOr so they say...17:23, 20/07/2012...while the satanic Zionist forces on the other side of the pond zoom their spying satellites in on Kaliningrad 11 Russian warships are about to rendez vouz in the Mediterranean just outside of Syria and call the port of Tartus with, i presume, means for the Syrians to defend themselves should israel & Co be so stupid as to invade...
- cheruskLike the Kursk ?18:42, 20/07/2012On the bottom of the sea in the first act. What would then happen to the Evil bankrupt superpower allied with the depraved gambling Saudi sheiks ? Russia did defeat them in Chechnya.
They'd better watch the masked Batman in their rotten civilization in North America..
- SirkoCannibalistic...!!!09:03, 22/07/2012Only an idiot makes a post such as that. You know he is an American idiot for he begins a sentence with, "And..", with no exclamation mark at the end of "Whatever..."
Eventually predatory Capitalism becomes cannibalistic and begins to consume its own people. Fifty million on food stamps and millions live in tent cities and trailor parks.
- mrgenieInteresting17:33, 21/07/2012Russia said it was fulfilling a contract previously signed long ago for repair of the aircraft and denied they could be used for attacking civilians.
This is very interesting! Since the Russian authorities request of foreign companies in Russia that all cars above a specific size are registered in a special database so in case of a war the Russian military can make use of it and confiscate them. I'm not sure if any more cars are subject to these regulations. So an authority considering cars of a size of lexus to be used as military equipment and thus refurnished and adapted to military purposes, claims that helicopters can never be used as such. This is a very hypocritical comment by the Russian authorities.
Apart from that, why shouldn't Russia deliver them. Muslims around the world are now redirecting their terrorist plans away from the USA towards Russia because Putin made public many times that killing Muslim woman and children is a good thing, especially if they are killed by Russian weapons. Russia versus 1.7 billion Muslims. Good luck Russian army, you're going to need it.
- ArmenianDefeat them in Syria not at the borders of Russia02:25, 22/07/2012We all realize that Moscow is worried about being on the losing side of this bloody conflict... Or worst, being drawn into it...
Having said that, Moscow must realize that once Syria falls it will be Iran's turn. Once Iran falls the gates to the Caucasus and Central Asia will become wide open. Once Syria and Iran fall, the position of Wahhabists, pan-Turkists, Zionists and Western imperialists will be strengthened in the region.
In other words, the noose around Russia's neck is tightening very fast. Sooner or later Anglo-American-Zionist interests with their Islamist and Turkic allies will plunge the world into a third world war. It would be prudent for Moscow to do everything in its power to defeat this evil in Syria before it gets closer to its borders.
The following blog has a lot of good analysis related to this topic of discussion - Heralding the Rise of Russia: http://theriseofrussia.blogspot.com/
- kunosouraRussian Arms Ships Offloads07:15, 22/07/2012Bravo Putin,defend Syria. After WW-II Russia developed a deterrent nuclear capability to save the world from west*s imperialism, colonialism. The time has come again. Please, defend Syria, Bushehr, Kudankulam, NPP Belene, the world.
August 22 marks 110th anniversary of the birth of Deng Xiaoping, the architect of reforms in the People’s Republic of China. His role in shaping the history of modern China is difficult to overstate. His Chinese model is too specific to be copied in other countries, such as Russia.