MOSCOW, May 30 (RIA Novosti)
- Moscow's March of Millions to Hold Protest Near Kremlin
- Russian Protesters to Continue Action to New March of Millions
- Opposition Set For New Rally on June 12
- Watchdog Slates Police Over Moscow March Violence
- Russian Investigators Begin Questioning Riot Witnesses
- Belarus-Style Repressions Unlikely in Russia – Experts
Moscow city authorities have refused to allow the Russian opposition to hold a proposed protest march in downtown Moscow on June 12, Russia Day, suggesting a different route for the action, the Left Front movement’s leader, Sergei Udaltsov, said on Wednesday.
Russian opposition activists applied on Monday to hold a 50,000-strong "March of Millions" from the Belorussky railway station along Tverskaya Street to Borovitskaya Square, which abuts the Kremlin walls, to protest the results of parliamentary and presidential elections.
“The Mayor’s Office has replied that the march along this route cannot be allowed as some festive events will be staged around the Kremlin and heavy traffic is expected along Tverskaya Street on that day,” Udaltsov told RIA Novosti.
He said the authorities suggested another route for the march, outside Sadovoye Koltso (Garden Ring).
“We responded right away that this route was unacceptable as we always insisted that the action must be held within the Gardern Ring, in the heart of the city,” the opposition leader said, adding that the organizers of the march were ready to continue negotiations with the authorities.
RIA Novosti has been unable so far to get a comment on the issue from the Mayor’s Office.
A similar rally on May 6 ended in violence and clashes with police when the protesters tried to break through police lines and move the event closer to the Kremlin, which had not been agreed with the city authorities.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- PlutardsShift from EU and USA to Russian Federation16:29, 31/05/2012The Current "Debt Crisis" in Europe,USA, together with recession and monetary stagnation of the EU will drive the Stock Market investors from Europe and America to invest in Russia instead of the European Union and the United States, sooner or later. Russia has just to be careful with parasite SPECULATORS originated from Russia and Eurozone in bad Capitalism already proven to be.
- PlutardsBig government18:05, 31/05/2012The Era of "Big Government" is back for CIS, Community of Independent States, in an analogy from the times of the former Soviet Union. Russia never lost. Russia is still the news cliché of the West, though. The sky is the limit nowadays for the Russian Federation.
August 22 marks 110th anniversary of the birth of Deng Xiaoping, the architect of reforms in the People’s Republic of China. His role in shaping the history of modern China is difficult to overstate. His Chinese model is too specific to be copied in other countries, such as Russia.