JAKARTA, May 10 (RIA Novosti)
- Wreckage of Missing Russian Plane May Have Been Found -Media
- Russia’s Missing Superjet 100 Discovered - Media
- Medvedev Sets up Commission to Investigate Superjet Incident
- Rain, Darkness Complicate Search of Russian Missing Plane
- Russian Plane with 44 on Board Missing in Indonesia
The wreckage of Russia’s missing Sukhoi Superjet 100 (SSJ 100) has been found at Mount Salak, the Indonesian rescue headquarters reported on Thursday.
Preliminarily, the plane has been discovered at 06.42.61.3 S 18.104.22.168 Е, a headquarters spokesman told RIA Novosti. There have been no reports of possible survivors.
Russian blogger Sergei Dolya, who is in Jakarta, confirmed in his Twitter microblog citing Indonesian authorities that the plane has been detected at the site with those coordinates.
The jet disappeared from radar screens during a demonstration flight near Jakarta on Wednesday with 48 people, mainly foreigners, on board. Indonesian authorities suggested the airplane may have been hijacked or crashed into a mountain in poor visibility.
A search operation is underway.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has established a commission to investigate the incident with the Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft, the government press service reported earlier on Thursday.
The Industry and Trade Ministry’s Yury Slyusar will head the commission, which also comprises Russian Foreign Ministry and United Aircraft Corporation officials.
On Wednesday, the SSJ 100 carried out two demonstration flights in the Indonesian capital as the manufacturer said Pakistan’s Air Indus has shown an interest in purchasing eight SSJ 100s.
The SSJ 100 arrived in Jakarta as part of a demonstration tour of six Asian countries. It has been to Myanmar, Pakistan and Kazakhstan, and after Indonesia was due to visit Laos and Vietnam.
The United Aircraft Corporation said in February Russia will export 10 SSJ 100 airplanes in 2012. The planes are to be delivered to Mexico, Indonesia, and Laos in the second half of the year.
So far, only one plane has been exported and that was to Armenia.
Another 10 SSJ 100s will be delivered to domestic airlines Aeroflot and Armavia.
The Superjet 100 is a medium-haul passenger aircraft developed by Sukhoi in cooperation with U.S. and European aviation corporations, including Boeing, Snecma, Thales, Messier Dowty, Liebherr Aerospace and Honeywell. The aircraft is capable of carrying up to 100 passengers for up to 4,500 kilometers.
In early February SSJ 100 received the Type Certificate from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
Sukhoi has received over 200 firm orders for Superjet 100 airliners so far.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- milantTragedy08:54, 10/05/2012My condolences to all who lost someone in this crash
- encyclopediakudangerous mountain03:03, 11/05/2012from salak mount indonesia: mount salak is very dangerous mountain for flight, during last 10 years 8 plane crash on salak mount, including our indonesian army plane, foog and wind can come suddenly here, no matter how good the plane, without good pilot specific knowladge about salak mount, I think it is very dangerous to fly around this mount
Image Galleries: Best Wildlife Photos of 2014
Infographics: Ukraine's Snap Parliamentary Elections