MOSCOW, April 6 (RIA Novosti)
- Patriarch's Press Service Apologizes for Image Doctoring
- Russian Church Should be Open to Debate - Patriarch Kirill
- Russian Patriarch Votes For 'Stability'
Russia's former Health Minister Yury Shevchenko said on Friday he paid almost 20 million rubles ($677,500) in damages ordered by a court for damaging a downtown Moscow apartment belonging to the head of the Russian Orthodox church, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
"I sold my St. Petersburg flat and paid it off," Shevchenko's son Yury told a hearing at Moscow.'s Zamoskvoretsky court.
Shevchenko said the payoff was "forced" because a court ruling earlier barred his father from leaving the country for badly needed treatment.
Lidiya Leonova, who lives in the patriarch's apartment in the Moscow landmark House on the Embankment just opposite the Kremlin, claimed last month that repair work in Shevchenko's flat one floor down caused dust and "nano-particles" to coat Kirill's furniture and books, and sued Shevchenko for damages.
The House on the Embankment is a massive housing block built in 1931 for Joseph Stalin's ruling elite. But for most, residence there was short lived.
Stalinist purges of the late 1930s saw almost all its original residents either sent to labor camps or killed, with the empty luxury apartments promptly populated by the new generation of rulers.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- cheruskWhich is the new religion ?21:29, 06/04/2012The head of the Catholic church has two warrants of arrest issued by American Courts.
The Vatican is now upset because Austrian women have been ordained priests.
What is the religion of the NWO ? Holoc ....ity.
- arsanlupinNot true00:38, 07/04/2012The head of the Roman Catholic Church has two British athiest authors publicizing that they hired an attorney to investigate the possibility of issuing an arrest warrant for Pope Benedict. The liklihood of their success in such an endevour is significantly lower than that of hell freezing over.
The Austrian group Women's Ordination Worldwide has held a news conference calling for the ordination of women. Ditto on the liklihood.
- jg20 million rubles!14:58, 07/04/2012I had no idea that cleaners charged such high hourly rates or that vacuum cleaners were so expensive in Moscow.
The patriarch must a taste for extremely expensive and incredibly delicate furnishings and books.
Image Galleries: Russia Celebrates Navy Day
Infographics: World War I, 1914-1918
The Brest-Litovsk peace treaty that ended Russia’s part in the war has been the subject of heated debate from the moment it was signed in March 1918. To this day, scholars offer differing interpretations of the circumstances that led to the treaty and its domestic and foreign policy importance.