NOVO-OGARYOVO, April 2 (RIA Novosti)
- Russian Armed Forces to stand at million servicemen
- Russian army to receive advanced weaponry in 2011
- Putin to modernize Russian Army
Russian Prime Minister and president-elect Vladimir Putin has no plans to form any new special service divisions, including so-called national guard, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday.
Nezavisimaya Gazeta daily reported that following a dramatic rise in protest activity in Russia the authorities have been pondering the establishment of a new law enforcement and security agency that will answer directly to the president.
“The reform of our armed forces and law enforcement agencies has been ongoing for more than a year,” Peskov said.
“As for the assertions that Putin is planning to create some units, some new types of special services - as reported today by some media outlets, provoking a lively discussion - that does not match the facts.”
“There is no question about that,” he added.
According to media reports, the National Guard was to be based on Interior Ministry Internal Troops, as well as units of Airborne Assault Forces, the Air Force and the Navy.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- free_mind50(no title)00:00, 03/04/2012There is no need. Russia has sufficient security forces to deal with its internal security within the current framework of its security forces. To insinuate other wise is just, unnammed persons trying to fan the flames of discontent
- drussianRussia Already Got Troops Of Ministry Of Interior18:52, 04/04/2012Russia's Ministry Of Emergency Situations and MDV already have a lot of troops that are more than capable for internal security. This is probably some corrupt general calling for "more money".