WASHINGTON, November 23 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia to move missiles to EU borders if U.S. shield talks fail - Medvedev
- Russia may move missiles to EU borders if shield talks fail
- Russian response to NATO missile defense to be 'reasonable' – Medvedev
- U.S. ready to provide Russia with missile shield details
- Russia ready to dialogue with U.S. on missile defense-Foreign Minister
- The Lisbon Reset
The White House insisted on Wednesday that Washington would not alter its plans for a European missile defense project, despite increasingly tough rhetoric from Moscow.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said earlier in the day that Russia would move "advanced offensive weapon systems" to its borders with Europe in response to the planned shield, if talks on the project fail. Moscow is seeking written, legal guarantees that the shield will not be directed against it, but Washington has refused to put its verbal assurances in writing.
“The United States will not alter its plans to deploy a NATO missile defense system and Russia should not be threatened by the shield,” National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a statement. “The implementation of the missile system is going well and we see no basis for threats to withdraw from it.”
Vietor said the United States had explained to Russian officials through "multiple channels" that the missile defense systems planned for deployment in Europe do not threaten Russia's strategic deterrent.
Pentagon spokesman, Capt. John Kirby also reiterated on Wednesday that the U.S. missile defense system “is focused on addressing the growing missile threat from Iran.”
"We have been addressing Russia's concerns through an intensive dialogue and detailed briefings at senior levels. The U.S. and NATO have welcomed Russia to participate in missile defense cooperation. This is the best way for Russia to receive transparency and assurances that missile defense is not a threat," Kirby told Fox News.
The U.S. Department of State also said it would continue talks with Russia.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in a statement he was "very disappointed" with Medvedev's comments and suggested such a move would be "reminiscent of the past."
"Cooperation, not confrontation, is the way ahead," Rasmussen added.
Russia and NATO tentatively agreed to cooperate on the European missile defense network at the Lisbon Summit in November 2010, but differences in approaches toward the project led to a deadlock in negotiations.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- Niko(no title)01:15, 24/11/2011Than you want a war ? Splendit !
I miss local conflicts and wars !
- p2o2rianWashington D.C. Mental Institution03:03, 24/11/2011I repeat myself but I must say this once more:
The senile elements building the so called the New World Order and the One Polar World KNOW they have ONLY 5 to 10 years to have more than 20% chance to do so on the rubbles of Russia and China. Hence the speedup in their efforts.
I wrote "senile" as they are the same people who tried to build Soviet World last century. And their disciples too.
- naymaung04need written papers05:34, 24/11/2011It is what Russia Federation requests.
- wulfranoWords12:14, 25/11/2011I hope the War of Words (and Saliva I might add) continues indefinitely between the USA and Russia. Nobody wants to glow in the dark!
- shanksinhaWashington is heady and dishonest02:59, 26/11/2011The Americans will never give a written and legally binding assurance, because they know that the proposed missile shield is actually directed against the Russian strategic arsenal. All this talk of Iranian rockets is hot air and always was.
It is up to Russia to safeguard her deterrence and to avoid a complete American hegemony of Europe. Russia has neglected her strategic interests long enough. The EU states sitting on their decaying economies should knock some sense in to their American masters/allies.
Islamic terrorism is gaining momentum, and is all about ideological opposition to European Christian values. This is an aggressive young radical ideology that attracts followers across the world. And it will only grow stronger on the world political stage.