The United States is ready to provide Russia with technical specifics of interceptor missiles of the European missile defense system© RIA Novosti. Mikhail Fomichev
MOSCOW, November 21 (RIA Novosti)
- Medvedev to assess Russia's reaction to European missile defense system
- NATO 'fig leaf' for U.S. missile defense shield – Russian envoy
- Moscow warns patience on missile defense wearing thin
- NATO's view on cooperation with Russia in Europe's missile defense degraded - Rogozin
- NATO's missile defense program to be fully operational in 2018 - Rasmussen
The United States is ready to provide Russia with technical specifics of interceptor missiles of the European missile defense system, Russia's Kommersant daily said on Monday, citing U.S. sources.
The newspaper said Russian specialists were invited to take part in tests of RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) and visit the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) headquarters at the Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado.
"During the consultations [U.S. Undersecretary of State for Arms Control Ellen] Tauscher said Washington was ready to provide information about the missile's speed after it uses up all of its fuel. This information, referred to as burnout velocity (VBO) in international documents, helps to determine how to target it," Kommersant said.
In October, Moscow's NATO envoy Dmitry Rogozin said Russian talks with the United States on missile defense had hit a dead end.
The Kremlin says the U.S. expanding anti-missile system in Europe is a potential threat to Russian nuclear arsenal, while Washington tries to convince Moscow that the system poses no threat to Russia and is needed to protect against missiles that could be fired by countries with smaller arsenals such as Iran.
The missile shield dispute between Russia and the U.S. has undermined efforts to build on improvements in relations between the former Cold War foes and is intensified by Russia's uncertainty of U.S. policy after the November 2012 presidential elections.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- living069what a load of BS07:39, 21/11/2011america will not allow Russia to see it's real operations, as we know america is good at deceipt, they will lie and put on a good show to get what they want
- lmStand up Russia08:30, 21/11/2011“U.S. ready to provide Russia with missile shield details the news said”
Now here is the catch in all this Russia is expected to cancel any request for written guarantees that the missile does not pose or be directed at Russia.
Now giving the way Moscow conducts their foreign affairs when it comes to NATO or the West by offering loud voices and promises of retaliation that seldom get off the ground, I bet Washington thinks they have Moscow in the corner.
When will be the day Moscow says something to the West and stick to it when it comes to their national security when?
As one European female politician said once she does not understand why Russia takes such a lacks attitude when it comes to their security.
- lmUngrateful scientist08:39, 21/11/2011One ex Russian nuclear scientist now working for Japan said he could not stay and work for $450 US a month in Russia so he left.
I what to ask him how much did a Chinese, Indian and Pakistan nuclear scientist worked for in the same period?
- naymaung04very careful what Russia is walking on it02:33, 22/11/2011Things can change.
People are hard to change.
Image Galleries: Yury Gagarin: Life of the First Man in Space in Pictures
Infographics: Sledge Hockey
The unconstitutional takeover in Ukraine was the toughest, consistent and so far most effective Western counterattack launched amid the ongoing struggle for a fairer world order. Only the naïve believe that the United States and Europe will willingly share their right to rule the world, though their belief is worthy of respect.