BRUSSELS, November 1 (RIA Novosti)
- Russia-NATO missile shield talks stalled ahead of 2012 summit
- No missile defense cooperation without guarantees – Lavrov
- Russia expects U.S. compromise on missile defense
- Missile defense talks should continue, reach decision – Medvedev
NATO's only role in the proposed missile defense shield for Europe is the cover it provides the U.S., Russia's NATO envoy Dmitry Rogozin said on Tuesday.
NATO is the fig leaf for "a missile defense umbrella that says 'Made in USA,'” Rogozin said.
“European NATO members will have neither a button to push nor a finger to push it with,” the envoy said, adding that Russia continues to insist on guarantees - from the United States - that the shield is not directed against Russia.
“We would like to receive clear and long-term assurances that there will be no actions on NATO’s part that would lead to the use of this system against Russia's deterrent capability,” Rogozin said.
Russia and NATO agreed to cooperate on the so-called European missile defense system at the Lisbon Summit in November 2010. NATO insists there should be two independent systems that exchange information, while Russia favors a joint system with full-scale interoperability.
NATO has said it was ready to offer Moscow written assurances that the European missile shield being built is not directed against Russia but has refused so far to provide the legally binding commitments demanded by Moscow.
Add to blog
You may place this material on your blog by copying the link.
- avatar_singhso you are going to belive whatever nato says or usa says despite all evidence of natos evil design/02:43, 02/11/2011russia is so stupid to belive inw hatever her enemy says?
forgot about nonextgension of nato to east?
about salt treaty/
about nonb militariasation oif space?
how stupid and self deceiving does russia want to be?
- SirkoThe Moles...07:54, 17/04/2012This is how stupid they can be. The fifth columnists are very busy indeed everyone from paid off journalists to so-called opposition leaders and even moles in the Kremlin such as Kudrin. One cannot have written guarantees from fascists, Hitler once gave the fools written guarantees..
The solution to the Ukrainian problem will directly depend on how the military operations unfold in Donbass. If the militia fighters take over the strategic initiative, win back Donbass and extend the war to the Zaporozhye and the Kharkov regions, then Kiev will be more amenable to a compromise